Pork Shoulder Question

TylerA

Hey everyone!

First time doing pork shoulder and my wife ran to Costco to get the meat and came back with something a bit different than what I’ve seen. This looks significantly smaller than a normal shoulder (3.5#), and it’s a swift premium Boneless Center Cut Pork Shoulder Roast. Is that the same thing as a whole shoulder it’s just a smaller portion?

My question is, can this be smoked like a regular pork shoulder at 225 degrees and made into pulled pork? I assume it will take significantly less time (I’m thinking 4-6 hours) and was planning to pull it around 200 degrees and then shred it.

Let me know what you think or if I need to go back and get a different cut.

Hey everyone!

First time doing pork shoulder and my wife ran to Costco to get the meat and came back with something a bit different than what I’ve seen. This looks significantly smaller than a normal shoulder (3.5#), and it’s a swift premium Boneless Center Cut Pork Shoulder Roast. Is that the same thing as a whole shoulder it’s just a smaller portion?

My question is, can this be smoked like a regular pork shoulder at 225 degrees and made into pulled pork? I assume it will take significantly less time (I’m thinking 4-6 hours) and was planning to pull it around 200 degrees and then shred it.

Let me know what you think or if I need to go back and get a different cut.

I just cooked something similar to what you're describing. I cooked it just like I would a normal bone-in roast and it turned out great. Cooking temp was around 250 and it took about six hours without wrapping. Pulled it at around 195 because it was probing tender and let it rest for about an hour in a cooler. It was delicious and didn't take all day.
pI9H1bJ.jpg

No worries, I have a picture too and couldn’t figure out how to post lol.

Glad to hear this should still work. Smaller is better as it’s a small group of people for dinner anyhow. I just wanted to make sure it will turn out well any not dry up on me.

Back