14.5 WSM-max. Cooking time?

Marc R in SC

Just bought a new 14.5 WSM. What is the longest time to expect sufficient heat using Kingsford Blue? Plan to smoke a brisket, want to know if I have to dump the ashes halfway through and start a new fire.

Cooking butts this summer I've not stopped to empty the ash as yet, although maybe I should have. Gone up to 19 hours on 225 degree cooks. The last cook early this week I did at 250 from the get go, done in 18 hours. The ash was up to and inside the charcoal ring so any longer and I would have needed to do something.

Wind and ambient temp will effect the amount of charcoal you use.

Thanks BobJ, looking forward to it!

Cooking butts this summer I've not stopped to empty the ash as yet, although maybe I should have. Gone up to 19 hours on 225 degree cooks. The last cook early this week I did at 250 from the get go, done in 18 hours. The ash was up to and inside the charcoal ring so any longer and I would have needed to do something.

Wind and ambient temp will effect the amount of charcoal you use.

I appreciate your input, will see what happens...

I have had to add more coals on all the cooks, can go something like 7-9 hours before needing more. The last 2 cooks I needed to start some in the starter when I couldn't get the heat to come back up where I wanted at roughly 14 hours in. FWIW, much of what I added to the fire were partially used, haven't done it with all new coals, other then the initial load.

I have had to add more coals on all the cooks, can go something like 7-9 hours before needing more. The last 2 cooks I needed to start some in the starter when I couldn't get the heat to come back up where I wanted at roughly 14 hours in. FWIW, much of what I added to the fire were partially used, haven't done it with all new coals, other then the initial load.

Thanks, this too is very helpful, as it answered my next question.

Something I didn't think of mentioning. I do not use the heat deflector, need the space for ash.

Back