Wing Night

JRAiona

TVWBB Gold Member
My wife said she wanted wings for her birthday dinner. When she who must be obeyed wants wings she gets wings.

Those are words that I have never heard from my wife (doesn't stop me from making wings, though!) :) Those look fantastic, JR! Vortex?

R

Those are words that I have never heard from my wife (doesn't stop me from making wings, though!) :) Those look fantastic, JR! Vortex?

R
Yes I used the Vortex. It changed my wing game.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Dustin.

Yes I used the Vortex. It changed my wing game.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Dustin.

Do you achieve a higher temp with the Vortex? I go back and forth between traditional two zone setup and vortex and feel like I get the same temp. I do believe you can fit more wings on the kettle with the vortex though which is always a plus.

Do you achieve a higher temp with the Vortex? I go back and forth between traditional two zone setup and vortex and feel like I get the same temp. I do believe you can fit more wings on the kettle with the vortex though which is always a plus.

Yes the Vortex can generate incredible amounts of heat but the big plus for me is how it creates a kind of convection effect so flipping wings isn’t necessary.

Great looking grill full of wings. I bet she was happy with her birthday meal.
Also want to add that I agree with JR that a vortex is the way to go for great wings with crispy skin.

That's a load of wings for sure I bet the wife was thrilled. We aren't too much for wings especially due to them being upwards of $6.00 a pound here. I use my vortex for all my chicken grilling and it works amazing when I make kettle fried thighs, crispy skin and very moist meat... perfect.

Yes the Vortex can generate incredible amounts of heat but the big plus for me is how it creates a kind of convection effect so flipping wings isn’t necessary.

So you get wings of that volume just as crispy as say cooking a dozen? And you don't flip them? :eek: Maybe I need to try that. Whenever I cook a bunch of wings on the Vortex, I've resorted to flipping them halfway through. Also, do you rotate them in any way?

And yes, the Vortex is a wing game changer no doubter! If you ask me, it's only a matter of time before a wing restaurant begins serving Vortex'd wings.

Last edited:
So you get wings of that volume just as crispy as say cooking a dozen? And you don't flip them? :eek: Maybe I need to try that. Whenever I cook a bunch of wings on the Vortex, I've resorted to flipping them halfway through. Also, do you rotate them in any way?

And yes, the Vortex is a wing game changer no doubter! If you ask me, it's only a matter of time before a wing restaurant begins serving Vortex'd wings.

I only turn the lid 45 degrees every 10 minutes three different times so that the lid damper is over a different quadrant every time. I never flip the wings. Also, Go HAWKS!!

Well, you certainly put a dent in the chicken population in the Louisville area. Looks outstanding for sure. Happy belated BDay to your wife.

Wonderfull Birthday present to your wife JR, wings look outstanding. Hope she liked them.
That has to be a Weber 26R you cooked all those Vortex wing on Right....

I do the same as Andy and rotat the lid 45 degrees every 10-15 minutes.

Wonderfull Birthday present to your wife JR, wings look outstanding. Hope she liked them.
That has to be a Weber 26R you cooked all those Vortex wing on Right....

No Jeff, thats my Performer. I’m becoming quite proficient at chicken wing Tetris.

Wow, you do have Tetris wing cooking down....glad to see you back on this forum.

I think it harks back to a conversation we had on this forum sometime ago, but- we did Hyvee chicken grillers with the Vortex for my mom's birthday this afternoon. It just seems to be the best darn way there is to cook chicken bits. Shame on me for not taking any pics to share on this cook.

Back