Handling robocalls using iPhone feature

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
So many people are struggling with robocalls, and I know there are a lot of solutions out there. Until recently, mine has been that unless it's someone in my contact list, I let it ring and roll over to voicemail, and if it's important I assume they'll leave me a message. Most callers hang-up at that point.

But I recently found a feature in my iPhone that helps, and maybe there's a similar feature in Android phones.

Go to Settings > Phone and turn on "Silence Unknown Callers". Calls from unknown numbers will be silenced, sent to voicemail, and displayed on the Recents list. Incoming calls will continue to ring from people in your contacts, recent outgoing calls, and Siri suggestions.

Update: You must have an iPhone 6s or higher on iOS 13.1 or higher to access this feature.

Interesting. What version iOS are you running Chris? I have 12.4.1 on an iPhone 7Plus and I don't see that menu item.

Last edited:
Hrrm. My client issued iPhone (6?) has been updated to iOS 13.1. Haven't found that setting yet, but will definitely be looking for it.

That feature has been available on Android for a long time. I never use it though for 2 reasons. I might miss a call from someone important i.e. my Drs all of whom use a PBX system and so the numbers are not usually the ones I have for them. The other is if you have one of the better phone companies i.e. I use AT&T they have built in robo call blocking and in my experience it is about 90% effective. And last for ones that do get through I simply push a side button on my phone to silence it or if after answering I dislike the caller I use the blocking feature. So with all these things I am relatively sure if/when I do answer an unknown caller ID that it won't be a robo call. It MIGHT be a solicitor but I shut that down pretty quick. Another help is to register your phone number(s) on the Federal Do Not Call list

Just upgraded my employer's phone (6S) from 12.4.1 to 13.1.2 and there it is :) . Too bad I can't use that feature on the work phone. Now I wait for my regional carrier to push the upgrade to my personal phone.

I may have to use that on my iPhone. I started answering all calls a couple weeks ago when I was job hunting. LOTS AND LOTS of spam calls.
And, it's hasn't slowed down!
Can't use that on my new work iPhone.
Pretty sure that the boss(es) would not be happy with that!!

it helps if you set default ringtone to say GONG and everyone in the contact to say, CRYSTAL.

I just installed the latest IOS update and this feature is AWESOME!!!!
Now, I do have ringtones for Pammi, friends and family and work stuff. Everyone else gets a random ringtone.
But it doesn't ring AT ALL!!! I'll get a notification that I missed a call and maybe a voice mail.
No more having to ignore a spam/robocall!
I like it!!

I agree that it’s a great feature. I’m not worried about missing a call. I figure people will leave a voicemail if important.

The problem with block feature is the call you with say and #ending in 0012 , you block it so they call back using a #ending in 0015. I have like 2000 blocked #s on my phone and they keep coming . Until DC gets off there dead passes and passes a law this will never end.
I do as Chris does let it ring. If they leave a MSG I will call back

it helps if you set default ringtone to say GONG and everyone in the contact to say, CRYSTAL.

Ditto that John! My contacts ringtone is "New Speedway Boogie" by the Grateful Dead, and everyone else is the "Twilight Zone" theme. Sure cuts down on running to the phone!

The problem with block feature is the call you with say and #ending in 0012 , you block it so they call back using a #ending in 0015. I have like 2000 blocked #s on my phone and they keep coming . Until DC gets off there dead passes and passes a law this will never end.
I do as Chris does let it ring. If they leave a MSG I will call back

A law won't solve anything for scam calls. You have to be able to find the source, charge, try and sentence them. These are VoIP calls, with spoofed CallerID, routed through multiple cutouts and NAT gateways.

Now, heads on pikes, that I can get behind.

Thank you for posting about this, Chris! I'm updating my iOS to take advantage of this feature. I keep getting a lot of crap calls. The worst were a few weeks ago when I was in Asia, 12 hours ahead of home. Nothing like getting a phone call in the middle of my night that wakes me up when I'm already losing sleep due to jet lag. After two nights in a row of that the caller was blocked, but it didn't help the first two nights. I'm grateful you posted about this.

Back