North Country Pork Butt

George Roth

TVWBB Member
Cool, rainy day in Northern Wisconsin. Time for a pork butt in the offset smoker I saved from the metal pile at the dump. BRITU rub over French's Yellow mustard. Sitting right on 250 after 15 minutes. Photo coming.

Last edited:
Looks good, George! How was the final product?

Won't know for a few more hours. It has been running well around 250+/-. Don't have all my tools with me so I am planning on "popping the hood" at 12:30 and checking my internals. Started with a 3/4 chimney and have added two 1/2 chimneys so far in 6 hours.

Hey George, I started to say something like it's good to see you newer guys posting here.... Then I saw your 2005 join date. Wow, hope to see you around a little more frequently. BTW, I can's see your picture. Nothing more on my end than the word PHOTO. Looks like Ed could see it though. Hope the cook turned out well.

You have to click on the photo link and go to the website to see the clear image...that’s just Photobucket.

By the way...I also have a butt on to this morning; first time that I seasoned and let it sit overnight. The bark is already set after 3 hours and ready to spritz. In the past I seasoned in the morning and just put it right on. Took much longer to set that bark.

I’ll be seasoning the night before from now on!

BRITU is the first rub I tried making and I am still using it. It will go really good on your butt!

I agree about BRITU. Of course I have modified it a "tad". My ribs, brisket, chicken thighs, and butts all get BRITU. This experimental smoke with the saved offset smoker worked out very well. I didn't have my remote probe or my other "instruments" so I made a million trips outside to check temps on the lid thermometer and periodically add handfuls of charcoal. Started the butt at 2:30 p.m. and the cooker temp quickly ran up to 250 and stayed there for most the smoke. At 2:00 a.m. after 11 1/2 hours the meat was at 160 so I foiled and used kitchen oven at 275. At 4:00 a.m. the meat was at 195 so I set it out to rest. Pulled half of the butt at 5:00 a.m. and cooled the other half and then froze it.

Using this smoker was a new experience with an offset fire box vent and a chimney vent to adjust. It worked just fine but my WSM is a lot less trouble with the ability to get more sleep.

Last edited:

Back