Weber thermometer placement.

General Coulter

Hey all. Sorry if this has been discussed before. I was
wondering why Weber continues to put the thermometer in the dome
of the kettles and smokers? Seems one of the first things people do
is buy a new one and place it at grill level, or get the probe type. I think
I see why they would be there on a kettle because it,s basically more of a
grill than a smoker. But you would think on a smoker they would place it at grate level.

General Coulter

Here's my .02 I have many grills, BGE my other main smoker. Temp is measured in dome (IMO) due to consistant temp, no hot spots. I cook mostly (until sear time) indirectly. The indirect heat level is the same as the dome as it is at the grate (from my own experience). When it comes time to sear, I just throw it on my grill grate (directly over the coals). Also note that I use multi level cooks (shelves/racks) All seem to cook at the same temp.

General Coulter,

While the hood location is not an optimal placement, it's probably the only real choice.

Locating it anywhere else would require the thermometer's sensor (shaft, since it's a bimetalic) to protrude into the cooking chamber at the grill level. I can see this being an obvious obstruction at the grate level.

I use mine a more of an indicator as to what the grill is doing. If I need more specific information for whatever reason I use a digital probe at grate level.

I second what Dustin said. The dome temp just lets me know the ballpark temp of my grill. For me it is not like baking in an oven where you want a precise temperature and bake time to turn out a good cake. Knowing the general temp is enough after all I am cooking the meat til I deem it done realizing all the while that every piece of meat is unique and will be cooked to perfection when it is and not when a timer says it should be.

I'm fine with it being in the lid of my kettle, but don't like that it is opposite of the lid damper. When I do a two zone fire and put some meat opposite of the hot coals, I put the lid damper over the meat and that makes it so that the lid therm is directly over the coals.

Back