Problem getting temperature up on WSM

Jim Mann

My son gifted me with the gasket kit which he installed on my WSM. At present I have a turkey on the smoker, but can’t get the temp above 250 degrees. I filled up the charcoal ring with fresh Kingsford, added a few chunks of apple wood, put hot water in the water pan, and have all vents wide open. It won’t get above 250, but will stay around 225 degrees like this for hours on end. I was hoping to get the turkey to the 350 Range, but that ain’t happening. I may have to finish it in the oven. Any suggestions?

I find it difficult to hold higher temps with the water pan full. I've been wondering if it has to do with water never exceeding 212 degrees.

Yep, skip the water it's a heat sink.
Wrap the pan in foil and don't add water.
For now you could prop the lid open a bit for more air to help bring up the heat.

My son gifted me with the gasket kit which he installed on my WSM. At present I have a turkey on the smoker, but can’t get the temp above 250 degrees. I filled up the charcoal ring with fresh Kingsford, added a few chunks of apple wood, put hot water in the water pan, and have all vents wide open. It won’t get above 250, but will stay around 225 degrees like this for hours on end. I was hoping to get the turkey to the 350 Range, but that ain’t happening. I may have to finish it in the oven. Any suggestions?

Try dumping a full chimney of lit coals on top
Vents open, and stand back
It will go over 350

Boiling water does rob heat too..you got to make more to get hotter.

Thanks to all who replied. I actually did dump a chimney half full of lit charcoal on while assembling the smoker. Net time I will leave out the water. It took four hours, but I did get the turkey breast up to 169 or so, and the dark meat up to 180. Now I am waiting several hours to carve it up. Thanks again to all. Jim

I discovered I really don't care for the legs so I do a lot of just breasts for me and the wife. They cook quicker.

Did one at 300 a couple of weeks ago it cooked in 2.5 hours. I took it to 164, even though I know I don't need to. And for some reason this was the juiciest turkey or breast I ever made. it was juicy even after being in the refrigerator a day or two. I've had a few pretty dry birds... Even pulling them at 155 or 160.

I see alot of people starting out with cold water or cold mix of water and fruit juice in the water pan. I get a pot of water or mix boiling 1st then dump it the WSM before installing the grates and lid. Helps with not using up extra fuel to get it up to temperature for smoking. If l'm doing high temperature cook then l skip the water all together.

my neighbor has a 18" wsm with temperature control fan on one vent, sealed up with gaskets and it doesnt leak running full steam. He tried to run it without the fan and had a hard time getting above 250 even starting with 3/4 chimney of lit coal. Had to prop the door open about 1/4".... I personally wish the air vents( 18.5") were slightly bigger in diameter

Back