Pizza Night!

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
It's just me and my youngest tonight, and she requested pizza. Who am I to deny a teenager's need for pizza?!?

Use a new dough recipe that's more of a NY pizza style dough. Pre-cooked my sausage and mushrooms, and mixed up a basic sauce (tomato sauce, salt, sugar, oregano.) Cheese this time was just straight whole milk/low moisture mozzarella. Got my red kettle fired up with a C-shape of coals, and dropped the KP on to pre-heat. I was shooting for 500F, as that's a better temp for this type of dough, but I think my stone got a bit hot (or at least heated more than the top steel), and I had to finish the pie under the oven broiler to avoid burning the bottom while I got the top done. Since I was only doing a single pie, that was easy enough to do (major pain when you are trying to cook up multiple pies!!!)

Anyway, it turned out really well, with a double thumbs up from my daughter. Here's a few pics along the way.

The ingredients (minus the cheese):

48818485331_81c091fa71_z.jpg

Coal set up:

48818638092_707e13deac_z.jpg

Pie dressed (on parchment):

48818124463_5a62e7604a_z.jpg

Doing its thing on the KP:

48818124503_daf59f8b9d_z.jpg

All done:

48818124398_2c489d7c20_z.jpg

Thanks for stopping by, and keep on cooking!

Rich

Nice looking pie Rich, nice and simple. My KP is a garage wall ornament, haven't used it in over a year. For years we just cooked ours on the kettle with a pizza stone with great results, a lot easier to work with and really couldn't tell any difference.

Looks outstanding Rich. You should do promos for Kettle Pizza. I'll be getting my KP out pretty soon. It's been too long. I love those one or two topping pies.

Thanks, fellas.

Nice looking pie Rich, nice and simple. My KP is a garage wall ornament, haven't used it in over a year. For years we just cooked ours on the kettle with a pizza stone with great results, a lot easier to work with and really couldn't tell any difference.

Use what works for you, Rich! :) I don't use the KP as much as I thought I might, but, then again, it was a gift, so no complaints here! :)

Looks outstanding Rich. You should do promos for Kettle Pizza. I'll be getting my KP out pretty soon. It's been too long. I love those one or two topping pies.

Kind of you to say, Cliff, but I think I've got a way to go before I can do professional pizza modeling! :) ....and, yeah, my preference is no more than two toppings on a pie. If I need more toppings, I just make another pizza! ;)

Rich

Great looking pizza! Thanks for showing your charcoal setup with the baskets. It's always interesting to me to see how people setup their charcoal for pizza cooks. I like your use of the baskets to keep the 'C'.

Great looking pizza! Thanks for showing your charcoal setup with the baskets. It's always interesting to me to see how people setup their charcoal for pizza cooks. I like your use of the baskets to keep the 'C'.

Thanks, KEQ! I've broken a few pizza stones in my time with direct heat, so the baskets are useful to make sure that I keep the stone a bit protected. Also, about 10 minutes before I cooked that pie, I dropped three chunks of apple wood on the fire (evenly distributed around the "C") for some fire, smoke, and a burst of heat.

R

Thanks, KEQ! I've broken a few pizza stones in my time with direct heat, so the baskets are useful to make sure that I keep the stone a bit protected. Also, about 10 minutes before I cooked that pie, I dropped three chunks of apple wood on the fire (evenly distributed around the "C") for some fire, smoke, and a burst of heat.

R

I'm on my 3rd stone now, and DLSW has made it clear I need to make this one last. I don't have a Kettle Pizza, but I'm going to try your config and try to keep most of the direct heat off the stone.

Rich G,
That pizza looks amazing. I think it is the one thing that I haven't tried on the kettle. Did you get that pizza stone custom made or did it come with the kettle pizza? I really like the setup.

Rich G,
That pizza looks amazing. I think it is the one thing that I haven't tried on the kettle. Did you get that pizza stone custom made or did it come with the kettle pizza? I really like the setup.

Bill, the stone came with the Kettle Pizza package that my sister got for me. I really like the way it works as well. I added the top steel to my kit as well. I like to do a Neapolitan(ish) style a lot of the time which cooks at high heat (750-850), so you need good top heat to get the toppings done as the crust cooks in 90-120 seconds! :)

R

Bill, the stone came with the Kettle Pizza package that my sister got for me. I really like the way it works as well. I added the top steel to my kit as well. I like to do a Neapolitan(ish) style a lot of the time which cooks at high heat (750-850), so you need good top heat to get the toppings done as the crust cooks in 90-120 seconds! :)

R

That's really cool. I have seen the Kettle Pizza attachment in Walmart but it had a large round pizza stone in the box. It must have been an older one or a different version. I'll definitely be checking into getting one. Thanks for the info.

Back