Greetings from Palm Beach Cnty, FL previous of Boston

BJaye

I have been reading this forum for over two weeks and thanks to all of you for your contributions. :)

I am in my first year of retirement and moved to my native town last year. It was step 1 of the big retire. Then I traveled for months and am now settled for a while. Doing all the things I felt I never had time to do. I was always a weekend smoker and griller on a 5 burner propane gas grill that lasted me for a full 15 yrs., and a 8 yr old Masterbuilt smoker. Good enough. First purchase in my new home was a Traeger Pro Series 34 Wood Pellet Grill:rolleyes:. Wrong. I am finding it to be waaaay too much work.

So last week, I bought the Weber Kettle Performer :greenperformer: (the copper one). And so the journey begins. I bought it to be able to grill and barbecue with wood chunks. I really want to do Argentinian style grilling and plan on purchasing the Gabby Grilling accessory. I have bought all kinds of chunks. Need a recommendation on fire starter. The little white cube thingies crumble too much. Makes me nervous that it will fall in the wrong place.

I'll admit, I don't know what I am doing. But I have spent a lot of $$$ doing it. My first build was up and running and then died on me. So, I going back to basics. Been using lump charcoal. Tomorrow, I going all in with chunks and a few pieces of the lump in my starter thing. Accessories purchased: cast iron grate, cast iron grate which goes into the middle; vegetable/chicken thing; Vortex thing; thermometer. Style so far: charcoal baskets on side. Guidance: YouTube is my visual teacher.
Side note: It seems like everything that I have cooked so far is smoked. I hate the smell of smoked food. Spent days getting it out of my kitchen. Planned purchases: warming cooking rack, rotisserie attachment

I am determined to grill and bbq as my #1 cooking preference. I just need to figure out how to make this thing work for me. :george:

Advice needed and appreciated.

Welcome aboard BJaye. Feel free to ask questions. If you're going to be cooking with wood I don't see how you can avoid the smoke flavor. It's not a problem with gas but I use charcoal with a few wood chunks to get the smoke flavor.

:) Thanks for all your welcomes. I have many more accessories than I have of fire-ups so far. Rain is killing my game.

Hi, another neighbor here (Boca). I don't know a thing about grilling, but am interested in what you will be grilling. I have posted a lot of recipes from Webers cookbooks here. You did come to the right place. The people here are so nice and very helpful. Enjoy your retirement. Hopefully it will be getting cooler here soon. lol

Last edited:

Back