Kingsford (Original) or Kingsford Professional is there really a difference?

BruceS

TVWBB Member
Is there really a difference between Kingsford (Original) and Kingsford Professional in the make up of the briquettes or performance when using the Weber Smokey Mountain?

I caught a sale on KP and bought 8 bags or so, and I loved it. I used it in my kamado in place of lump, because lump had inconsistent sizes and kept giving me temperature spikes. It’s not as ashy as KBB in my humble opinion, and it burns hotter.

KP does burn hotter than KBB, and KP produces less ash.

KP is great for for cooks where you need a little higher temp, but they do burn through more quickly than KBB.

I can't ever find a break on the on the price so I've never tried it. K-Pro is always over a buck a pound around here.

Regular price for K-pro here at Costco is $20 for twin 18s, and on sale at times for $14.
I've been messing around with some Royal Oak brands and I'm ready to go back to KBB and KP to go along with the lump I also use.
The RO Embers I got dirt cheap at HD is, IMO, is pretty terrible.

Regular price for K-pro here at Costco is $20 for twin 18s, and on sale at times for $14.
I've been messing around with some Royal Oak brands and I'm ready to go back to KBB and KP to go along with the lump I also use.
The RO Embers I got dirt cheap at HD is, IMO, is pretty terrible.

I came to the same conclusion about RO Embers. Bought the 2-pack on sale at the HD Labor Day sale. I've been using it the last few weeks, and I won't buy it again. It's too smokey, too ashy, and doesn't seem to burn very evenly. Oh well.

For those with a Costco in the area, they usually have the 2-pack K-pro on sale in the Spring for $14. I buy at least 2-3 packs.

I can't ever find a break on the on the price so I've never tried it. K-Pro is always over a buck a pound around here.

The Lowe’s near me cleared it out a few months back. I bought all they had, about 8 bags. That’s the only reason I tried it.

I came to the same conclusion about RO Embers. Bought the 2-pack on sale at the HD Labor Day sale. I've been using it the last few weeks, and I won't buy it again. It's too smokey, too ashy, and doesn't seem to burn very evenly. Oh well.
Some folks don't like what's in KBB, but at least they tell us.
With RO briquette we have no clue.

Back