Fair warning, may be moved!

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I need a little guidance from “locals”
Heading out on a bit of a less than total pleasure trip next week. More a hurried “see family in a bit of a rush” kind of thing. Long and short of it, heading south from here to northern Alabama on Monday, not sure if a lunch stop in Louisville is feasible but, might be fun. Any places “near” I-65 heading toward Nashville?
After I get to Alabama I will deliver a red hood to a member and I’m pretty sure I might get some good directions from him but, any more ideas for places around Huntsville/Grant AL.?
From there we are headed to Simpsonville S.C. Again, a speed route (roughly 6 hours?) So, I’m thinking lunch.
We will be headed back by way of Sevierville TN. (Smokey Mountain Knife Works) and maybe Ole Smokey distillery so, suggestions around there are also welcome.
I most often travel by grocery store (a trait learned from my father) So, barbecue stops are a little different for me.

If you get to Huntsville, AL you almost owe it to yourself to head a little west and got to Decatur, AL and visit the original Big Bob Gibson BBQ restaurant. Chris Lilly is the Pit Master there. If I'm not mistaken there is an exit off of I65 for Dectaur, if not just map it on your phone or GPS. For the trip, all the trophies they have won are there, if you have time you can ask for a look at their pits and if they're not too busy they might oblige.

Hit the Lodge store next to the knife works, lots of fun stuff to look at, I am going to buy 1 of the big carbon steel pans soon, just got to grab it when the wife aint looking lol, also the tool place is pretty nifty if you tinker with any thing, the knife work sells guns and ammo at pretty good prices if you are in need also. down stairs is where the good knives are for kitchen duty so don't miss going down the stairs, have a safe trip

Well, thanks guys! I will be there for a few days so, Decatur should be do able!

Get the pan, I got one a few years ago and love it! She is not going to be mad for long.
I’m not going to be in Sevierville for very long but, since that’s on the way home we might just have to spend the night!

Its all on the same block same side of the road, no need to fight the traffic, had 2 service calls in pigeon forge yesterday morning but got lucky, traffic hadn't got thick yet . have a safe trip

Just got off the phone with my brother in law, I told him some of the route that google provided and he said “Nooooo buddy, that will be a headache you won’t want!” So, I now have revised routing delivered in local colorful descriptors! I am fairly fluent in many southern dialects but, Alabama is “different” to say the least! I read it back to him twice and he changed one thing with each reading so, I figure if it gets late, I’ll just have to call him.
He doesn’t know anything about Big Bob Gibson’s but, member Jack A. Does and I’m delivering a red lid to him at some point during the visit, probably Tuesday or Wednesday. Possibly meeting for lunch but, that’s not finalized yet.

The trip has not ended up anywhere near the relaxing trip I’d hoped, sister-in-law had some health issues which needed to be dealt with but, a nice meeting with member Jack A.
Followed by some crazy driving to get around to some places, a shorter visit at Smokey Mountain Knife Works than I might have liked but, it was kind of sensory overload to a certain extent. Honestly, I think I’m happier using the catalog. Too much is too much.
No time for the Lodge palace, I’m trying to figure out where to put one more piece of kitchen equipment so that probably
was for the best. I don’t think I have any interest in making that turn off highway 40 again. I’ve spent less time in Chicago traffic for better return in hours invested.
Thanks for the suggestions but, it didn’t happen as planned.

Well, we just got home from “Bucky’s Bar-B-Cue” at 1700 Roper Mountain Rd. And I have got to say that it was pretty darned fabulous! Ribs were great, chopped pork was top notch, there was so much that I brought the 1/4 chicken home for later.
If you are around Simpsonville, stop and try it, you will be pleased!

Back