Best way to reheat vac'd RIBS ?

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
So I'm trying to figure out the best way to reheat BB ribs. I was thinking use the simmer in hot water technique like I'll do the pulled pork...then I thought a finnish on the grill at 350-375 with sauce might be good.

What works for you?

to be clear, these ribs will be smoked and foiled on WSM then vaccu=sealed.
no plans for sous vide.

- - - Updated - - -

to be clear, these ribs will be smoked and foiled on WSM then vaccu=sealed.
no plans for sous vide.

I have used techniques like you mention with good results. If I know ahead of time that I will be reheating ribs I do not cook them to completion initially. This allows them to finish cooking when reheated without becoming over cooked.

This may be the wrong result for you, but I usually just do a *very* light sauce glaze on one side, then into the toaster oven about 150F until I warmed, 5-10 minutes.

Not best, but i pop in microwave in vac seal, poke holes.
Couple minutes

Damn the bones get hot though....

reheating ribs ive done oven at 400, grill until hot and microwave with paper towel tented over them for minute and half with ribs brushed with sauce...i prefer the microwave most of the time, the bark doesnt get dried out further

You asked about reheat not cooking, souse vid is the best way to get the water hot enuff to reheat without getting too hot and unsealing a bag. better than trying to boil water and risk water logging your food. no mention was made of cooking with it.

I've reheated foil-wrapped ribs in the oven, but they emerged too mushy. I've par-cooked them, knowing that I'd reheat them indirect on the grill with a little sauce glaze and got much better results. Sous vide at 140-150 seems like a good idea if they are fully cooked in the vac bag. If you simmer them bagged in water, you might want to monitor the water temp so that you don't start cooking them again. If I'm reheating a half-rack or less, I just nuke them for a couple of minutes.

Jeff

If frozen? Obviously defrost, then into a pot of simmering water.
Turn off the heat, cover and let sit for an hour.
I do that on all my vac packed food and it usually is pretty close to serving temps when done.

Tim

If you have a vacuum sealer, then there is a good chance you might be a kitchen gadget addict. Both my DW and I are addicts. There is no one to say no in our relationship when one suggests getting a new gadget.

Get a sous vide circulator. Just do it. Buy the top rated Joule. Get an Anova on sale on Amazon. It doesn't matter, just get one. You don't need fancy cambro containers; just use your existing pots or a cooler. The circulator takes up almost no space in a drawer, so it's always handy. Over cooking vac sealed leftovers will be a thing of the past. Fill a pot with water, clamp the circulator to it, plug it in, set it for whatever temp you want, and drop in the bag. I re-heated a trip tip at 130; it was as good as the day it came off the smoker. Ribs, brisket, pulled pork all warm up perfectly with sous vide and never overcook. And make Douglas Baldwin's website a favorite on all your devices; he has detailed tables for how long it takes to bring any food item to temp from fridge or freezer; or just buy his book.

Last edited:
Good strategies guys. I did under-cook em, vac em & freeze em.
step1: defrost
step 2: foil em
45 min at 350
unfoil & glaze
grill direct @ 350

the ribs leaned heavily towards a crowd pleasing 'fall off the bone' texture (or lack there of)
Almost no one ate more than a few bites of pulled pork. The ribs got all the attention.
Pleased with this strategy.
Thanks for the input.

Back