Pork butt fat side up or down?

PaulNY

Gonna smoke 2 pork butts this weekend, hoping to get around 9LB butts.... I have a 18.5" WSM... Wondering if i should go fat side up or fat side down? Ive heard conflicting reports.. Some say up as the fat bastes the rest of the meat. Others say down as the fat side down keeping the fat between the fire and the meat...

You'll get differing opinions.
Fat side down for me with butts and briskets. Fat runs off and doesn't penetrate the meat as a baste.
It does provide heat protection when down, and lets the bark form without sitting on the grate.
Truth be told, you could probably do one each way and not have a noticeable difference.
I also trim the fat down to a thin layer.

Yea I agree, no right or wrong way, just do a few and figure it out.
Me, I go Higher Heat like 300 and I always go FC down never trim, because after the FC renders off you have the little slice of Nirvana called the false cap and that's the cook's treat.:wsm:
Thanks to BryanS on clueing me on to that!

Tim

I always trim off the fat cap on pork butts. There is plenty of internal fat to keep it moist and it gives you more edible bark on the meat itself.

Fat cap down for me because l spray it with apple cider vinegar and apple juice. However, on occasion l will go fat side up when l leave it smoke unattended when running errands or working around the house.

Back