A few recent cooks (and stuff) - PIC HEAVY

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Well, it's been incredibly busy here over the last 4-6 weeks, so I haven't been around TVWBB much (and, sadly, my grills are only getting a small amount of use.) Looks like things should slow down a bit, so I'm looking forward to cooking a bit more often and being able to share with you all, while keeping up with your cooks. As "proof of life", here's a few things that I did manage to get pics of recently...

Made some bacon cheeseburgers:

48781758703_9d84a524e3_n.jpg

48782290592_68f2131712_n.jpg

A lovely bone-in pork loin (Kurbota hog):

48781758103_fcdf0ee488_n.jpg

Tomahawk Rib-eye with bacon "garnish" on the bone:

48782120211_b701be6fa7_n.jpg

48781756593_5b77bb9db0_n.jpg

Reverse seared tri tip (seasoned with DP Raising the Steaks):

48782120961_247b54f634_n.jpg

Practice run for making bread in a DO while camping (it counts, Weber as a wind break!):

48782290472_13d144bb30_n.jpg

48782120421_21923a9659_n.jpg

An AWESOME Craigslist find......NIB 22" Blackstone griddle....$50:

48782121146_ca0e1d8fd6_n.jpg

48782120816_7081eb5f4c_n.jpg

I'll be working on getting caught up on everybody's cooking, and should be in here more often. Grill on!!

Rich

Welcome back Rich. So that's what you call taking a month and a half off?? ;) It all looks delicious of course, but that Rib Eye just pops out at me. Very nice.

Welcome back Rich. So that's what you call taking a month and a half off?? ;) It all looks delicious of course, but that Rib Eye just pops out at me. Very nice.

:) That should be a normal week or two instead of six, Cliff!

Glad to see I'm not the only one that enjoys some Dutch Oven cooking.

I'm a newbie when it comes to using the camp dutch, Mike, but looking forward to playing around with it more! I've cooked many a meal in my DO's indoors, and they are my go-to method for baking up my bread. I really wanted to figure out if I could bake bread at the campsite, so this was a practice run. Turns out, it's certainly do-able, and should be a good way to pass the time in camp. :)

R

Great looking cooks Rich! I was just thinking about making DO bread now I have to! You’ll love that 22” BS. I really like mine. Smash burgers, stir fry, fajitas, breakfast all great,

Great looking cooks Rich! I was just thinking about making DO bread now I have to! You’ll love that 22” BS. I really like mine. Smash burgers, stir fry, fajitas, breakfast all great,

Thanks, Case! The griddle is awesome! I see lots of use for it at home and out camping. If you give the bread a try in a camp dutch with charcoal/coals, one thing I learned from my trial run is you need A LOT of top heat. I ended up using one ring of coals below, and, as you can see from the picture, pretty much loaded the top. Also did about a 30 minute pre-heat, and reloaded coals as needed. After 20 minutes, I slid the lid to give just a bit of a gap for steam to escape and the crust could firm up. Total cook time was 55 minutes, which was 10 minutes longer than my bread takes in my oven at 475F.

R

Thanks, Case! The griddle is awesome! I see lots of use for it at home and out camping. If you give the bread a try in a camp dutch with charcoal/coals, one thing I learned from my trial run is you need A LOT of top heat. I ended up using one ring of coals below, and, as you can see from the picture, pretty much loaded the top. Also did about a 30 minute pre-heat, and reloaded coals as needed. After 20 minutes, I slid the lid to give just a bit of a gap for steam to escape and the crust could firm up. Total cook time was 55 minutes, which was 10 minutes longer than my bread takes in my oven at 475F.

R

Yeah that's what I've found too. I use this chart (I have it laminated and carry it in my chuck box) as a general guide and have found with bread I end up using way more than I think I need.

29790225225_b98846134a_z.jpg

WOW!!!! That's some great cooks but sure do love the bread. Rich and I were just talking about doing some and we have 3 DO's so its bread time.:) You will have lots of fun cooking on the griddle , they are great.

Well Rich, Barb pretty much said it all. We have actually four DOs one is dedicated to outside cooking and two to bread making only and one an inside only general use DO. Plus our seven CI fry pans which we use a lot.
My new favorite cook is a smash burger cooked in a CI skillet over a heaping pile of coals, good stuff.

Back