School in session

D Livingston

TVWBB Fan
My youngest daughter (9yo) Saturday said she wanted to start learning how to cook. Sunday, after I picked her up from visiting her friends, I asked her what she wanted for dinner (hamburgers) and if she wanted to help (yes).

Since two of our five were gone, and the burgers were the only thing going on the grill, we used the Smokey Joe. She helped me get everything out and ready for the grill, helped load the charcoal into the chimney, and I got it lit. Then we went inside and she made her own burger patty (I made the other two to demonstrate), she selected the seasoning (Weber Gourmet Burger), we gathered up the sides (veggies, pickles, and chips), then went out to put the charcoal in the grill and let the grate preheat while making lemonade. Then went out and put the burgers on the grill. We then brought everything (sides, plates, drinks, ketchup, miracle whip, etc.) out to the deck table and by that time we were ready to flip the burgers (she flipped hers after watching me flip mine). And then I told her the next step was my favorite part of cooking outside. We sat in the rockers on the deck with a beer (well, she had lemonade) and relaxed and chatted while waiting for the burgers to finish.

With the teaching, and being in the moment, I did not get any process pictures, unfortunately. But as we were waiting on her sister to join us, I did finally think to grab a picture.
y4mqKj3sYji1NyTtdvMhdpDWdHUfsA4P9WeVkilr16qsPKwSii2b6AAXv_CahSc46PqGICogAhG1PBJ57TaGgC-FmYMHRgvtCCta3NIjPxxCx7RciG0vxE-VnzjIFoQWqaofSmCG2VtCU6pzAMocBJEJu7TukKx_pRH4JSAXFmD-RTWSmwC7vVYlWBJDZpghAc2EC3oaMZ6EGOGBNvdiZ_cSw

And now for something completely different. During this cook, I realized I was a little tired of not having a good spot to set up my Smokey Joe. The Master Touch and Q1200 have their places next to the prep table I built earlier this year. But for the Smokey Joe, I typically move the fire-bowl off of the concrete pad I have for it, move a small round glass top table onto the pad, and use that for the SJ (you can see the setup in the background of the above picture) with nothing else really around to set things on while working. So what's a guy to do? Add a shelf, pull out the jigsaw, and cut a hole in the prep table of course.
y4mfj6Hz0T4vaHRmJpTV3qXW7l3MBqV-2PszuLlJeq7zsnsKASnAortcAvT19jx4MguKGFZe9DPbO14IR0um-sa_yGqI3szflfd8HtiTZDi1k-E4ni_Av_5EucsdO8ERSNQvF-gP577y3xqPg-td3epAmCcXKJ7063btBRy0f9-s7JbR8Y3gKHKk4u8vwBVGrXV51i28sxPBYY7Ltd0_Y1IOA

Problem solved.

Way to get your daughter involved (and props to her for wanting to!) Great father/daughter fun, and great skills for her to have! Nice job, dad!

(Oh, and the burgers and SJ table look great, too!) :)

Rich

If it were me, that would have been an emotional moment when I cut a hole in that very nice prep table. Sure looks handy though and I'm sure a good trade off for you. Sounds like you had a perfect and fun day with the daughter. Looks like she did too.

Good stuff all around!

I had both of my boys cooking with me in the kitchen and outdoors early on. My oldest who graduated high school last year is a line chef. My youngest whose in middle school is taking culinary classes and really liking them.

Super good thing going on there. I helped teach our daughter how to cook and to this day she still enjoys cooking, trying all kinds of new things.

Pretty awesome story. I hope once my kids get a little older we can bond over charcoal cooking. My son is showing (4) promise as he always wants to look at the charcoal in the chimney! Just need him to be a tad taller, and a better attention span. But seriously way to daddy/daughter bond!

Back