Should I keep it or not?

Stefan H

TVWBB Guru
I wanted to sell the Summit Gold D4 but I am tempted to keep it. I am not done with the restoration yet but this grill is pretty awesome. With all grate level burners running high this grill gets to 750 within a short time. Plus there is a back burner on top.
jhyGJLc.jpg

Last edited:
Stefan, if you really don't "need" this grill, what I would do is put a high price on it and see what happens. I did that last fall on my Skyline. I listed it for $400 and it was about this time of year or later. I figured I would just let it sit all winter and drop the price in the spring to move it or maybe even keep it. I was shocked when a guy drove nearly 200 miles to pick it up and I truly don't think he cared a rats arse about the skyline logo.

Maybe list your Summit for $750 and see what happens. That isn't your typical Genesis three burner you got there. If nothing happens, you haven't lost anything.

It depends how much you have invested, what you like and what you think your intended uses will be. When I got my Wolf I fully intended to sell it at a profit. Well guess what................that was 11 or years ago and I not only did not sell it I invested a pretty large sum in getting new custom stainless grates from Dave Santana for it. Hell I invested double in te grates of what I paid for the grill. There is something to be said for having a large high powered cooking machine that has the versatility the rear IR burner gives you. If it's good KEEP it. Post some photos of it that we can actually "see" (I quit following photo links so use Imagur and let those of us who hate "links" actually see it) pay attention to the front of the fire box. Understand too you can still get that fire box from Weber. I can tell you the flavorizers will set you back a small fortune but if it's a D6 it should have the good stainless rod grates, the smoke burner, and the IR burner. IMO if it ain't a rust bucket enjoy it

The grill is in good shape. The firebox is basically rust free. There was a little rust at the lower edge of the front enameled sheet. But that is it. The front SS panel where the burners go through is still in great shape. Burners are in great shape and so are the flavorizer bars. These flavorizer bars are are really thick SS steel. At least 16 GA. So far I needed to replace the igniter switch and one igniter. I got a set of brand new porcelain cast iron grates really cheap a few weeks ago which I am going to put in this grill. The original channel formed SS grates were solid but nasty. And I scored the missing smoker box on ebay and need to get some new casters.
So in total I have about $150 in the grill which includes the grill and all the parts. I think I am going to price it high and see if someone jumps on it.
I am going to take some pictures this week.

Stefan,
Based on all you said, I am with Larry 100%. If you can keep it without running out of room or too much spouse flack then I would say you have an superb grill for a bargain price. It it were a current generation Summit, my answer would probably be different, but that one is very decent. I wish I had had room to absorb a platinum one I saw near me some time ago. Even I have to stop somewhere:rolleyes::eek:!

I would need to get rid of my blue head Genesis Platinum or my still to restore Skyline. I barely have room for two gas grills. But the power of that grill is nice. First world problems I guess .... :D

That would be a pretty tough choice deciding which one had to go. Even as big of a Skyline fan as I am, I might still keep the Platinum and the Summit. Maybe put the Skyline hood on the Platinum?!!

I love my blue lid. Lol. I think I will sell the Summit. Since it has a SS lid It probably sells better than the other two ones.
If I could ever find a Summit Platinum I would go for it. But they are really rare.

Which one can you sell and make the most profit on, with the least amount of work?
That would be the one I would sell.

Dave this is what I am thinking too. I enjoy it why I have it and it is great to learn how to work on it. But it probably sells much better than the other older Genesis I have.

I could see that. I wouldn’t give it away, but if it sells at a good price and you aren’t as attached as it was starting to sound, then I would go for it. Sounds like in your area a Summit might be a plus while there may not be much market for something like a Skyline. Before you sell that one too cheap, let the rest of us know.

Which one can you sell and make the most profit on, with the least amount of work?
That would be the one I would sell.

Dave,
Spoken like a professional! That’s one more reason why you flip grills by the barrels full while I just keep accumulating curiosity pieces:rolleyes:!

I don't know of anyone (even Weber) who made CI grates to fit that grill. Those grills used a grate size all their own. Nothing interchangeable to any Genesis product so you may be in for a little surprise there. I found that out when trying to refurb my bro's Summit. He ended up having me order a set of grates from Dave Santana. I did that grill once more last summer 2018 and it so far has been holding up well despite how my bro abuses it.

Back