Need help troubleshooting '08 Genesis that won't heat up fully

Rick Houston

TVWBB Member
Hi,

I have a 2008 Genesis ep-320 that will not heat up beyond 450 degrees. I have cleaned the valves based on a video from here and inspected/cleaned the burner tubes. I am using new RCplane flavor bars. The grill is overall in good shape so I'm beginning to suspect the regulator hose or air/gas mixture.

My regulator is the original one that came with the grill and is 11 years old. Is this a common item that should be replaced periodically? If so, is the general consensus here to buy a genuine Weber replacement?

Any other recommendations for troubleshooting?

Thanks,

Rick

Last edited:
Rick:
I love these sidewinders with the enclosed cabinets. Our family has two online and one for parts, all from 2007. I can think of 3 things that may be happening. 1. Do you have a means of checking the temp like with an oven temperature gauge to see if the lid one is in the ball park? 2. Is the sideburner functioning ok? How does the flame look with the flavor bars removed? If everything looks even on all burners, I'd check to make sure when you turned on the tank that the safety device didn't trip. That only leaves the regulator left to replace. Good luck. Keep an eye out for rust on your base cabinet as mentioned by others, Especially the bottom panel and around where the casters go into the frame.

Dan,

Thanks for the fast response, I'm going to test all your recommendations. Truth be told, I hardly use the side burner, so will test that and check the burner flame color. I do think it's possible an adjustment is needed as I think the flame is more yellow than it used to be.

Rick

Rick:
Mine is on NG, but when I first fire it off it always shows some yellow flame for a few seconds, but then it goes blue for the duration. I'm betting on the safety valve has kicked in. Others on the forum have some tips on getting things right. Nothing wrong with a new regulator and hose since they are fairly cheap in price. Just goes on the 3/8" male flare fitting on the manifold. If you go that route, just make sure the 1/8" NPT x 3/8 Flare male are held in place so you don't develop a leak when removing the old hoseline. Happy grilling.

If you do buy a new hose and regulator, DO NOT buy a Weber one unless you want to way overpay for one. You can get one off Amazon for under $10.

Thank you both for the replies. I will start with verifying how the flame looks and go from there. I don't think it's the safety valve because when that has kicked on, it won't heat beyone about 350, but who knows, I could be wrong.

I can tell you this much. Don't play with the air shutters. I see so many people here think that's what they should do. Think about it...................How could the air shutter which is usually corroded in place magically go out of adjustment? Also think about what they do. They're like the mixture screw on a carburetor. If your grill suddenly is not heating correctly I guarantee it is not due to the air shutters

Back