Fall is Here Time for Some Comfort Food

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Inspired by Cliffs mushroom cooked meatloaf Barb decided now that it has cooled off it was time for us to cook up a meatloaf.
I found what looked like a great mushroom gravy recipe. That and a couple of red taters to smash and some carrots and broccoli for the sides
Fired up the performer and added some cherry and apple chunks to give it some smoke.
Did the veggies on the performer while the meatloaf rested. Gravy was made on the stove top.

Barb as always made a killer meatloaf using ground chuck, ground pork and mild Italian sausage, fresh basil, oregano and thyme along with onion, bell pepper, Worcestershire and BBQ sauce and S&P.
I tried something different this time and pulled it at 150 instead of 160 it was perfectly cooked no pink and very moist and tender.

The mushroom gravy was excellent, easy to make, a definite keeper.

48776435621_aa9534b39b_z.jpg
[/url]100_5324 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

48776624547_5950208851_z.jpg
[/url]100_5327 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

48776623892_0fb366ff78_z.jpg
[/url]100_5331 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

48776624167_1678863e51_z.jpg
[/url]100_5329 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

48776623617_2e033e28c1_z.jpg
[/url]100_5333 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Have a great week

Kevin, Chino is about 10 miles from us. I think you will really like it here, we've lived here since 2002. Lots to see and do. Send me a PM when you get here or if you have any questions.

Even though my car thermometer hit 105 today, that still looks great, Rich! :) Don't be shy with that mushroom gravy recipe.... :)

R

Here ya go Rich.

Creamy Mushroom Gravy

Ingredients
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 ounces cremini mushrooms, stems trimmed and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup dry Marsala wine
2 cups low sodium beef broth
¼ cup heavy cream

Directions
Heat the butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat until foaming. Add the mushrooms and shallots and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring rarely, until the mushrooms are slightly browned and soft, about 5 minutes.
Reduce the heat to medium, sprinkle in the flour, and stir to coat the mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the flour is lightly toasted, about 3 minutes. Add the wine and stir with a wooden spoon, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook until the wine is completely reduced, about 30 seconds.
Slowly pour in the broth or stock and whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the gravy has thickened and coats the back of a spoon, about 2 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cream. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.

Looks Great Rich!

Meatloaf is on the short list for up coming cooks. I have been craving a leftover meatloaf sandwich for months! Mayonnaise, ketchup, dollop of horseradish, meatloaf between two slices of sourdough, whats not to like! :D

Back