Questions about what Weber will be offering...

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I am anxiously awaiting something more than just a tease picture of the SmokeFire Weber pellet grill. I just used my Rec Tec last week to do 25 pounds of flat cut brisket (5 pieces) on an overnight cook. A few features about my Rec Tec that I really like and hope Weber will have - or even do better:

1) A stainless fold-down front shelf. Rec Tec makes this an add on option, and if Weber has it I am sure they will as well. Really, I understand that. I appreciate keeping the entry price down. You can add on more later. This is definitely something you will want, though. It would be hard to handle a large volume of food like I had without it.

2) Inside light with easily removable lense. I like that my Rec Tec has an inside light since with low-n-slow barbecue you often cook at night. But Rec Tec took it a step further by making the lense easy to pop out and using dishwasher friendly material. Only one cook and it is going to be covered with soot, so this a well thought out idea.

3) My Rec Tec was purchased barely used. The prior owner went all out and bought the second add-on stainless inside shelf and also the made to fit GrillGrates for getting at least some searing effect for burgers, steaks and chops. You can disagree on the GrillGrates, but a second stainless shelf allows a much higher volume of food. I hope Weber will offer that as an option. Some other pellet grills have two or even three tiers of grates (often just coated regular steel) but I like Rec Tec’s stainless regular grates and the option to add another stainless level when you want it. Other times like stand-up beer can chicken or similar you want the full height the grill offers without a second shelf in the way.

Thanks for your overview of the Rec Tec.
To me shelf space is very important, thats why I like the performer over just a kettle and my Gen 2000 with two flip ups and shelfs, can't have to much shelf space.
Been looking at various pellet grills as an option to the charcoal and gassers. Although my daughters Treager has been faultless the reviews have been less than I would like to see.
I'm leaning more toward Rec Tec, but cost is a factor. I will also wait until I can see what Weber has to offer before making a decision. I'm sure Weber has carefully examined all the competitive pellet grills out there and based there decision on what will be the most competitive options, just hope they are not going to rely on their name alone.
Barb agrees we should get one but insists that it be new (ouch!) No more fixit uppers especially with all the electronics involved.

Last edited:
Been looking at various pellet grills as an option to the charcoal and gassers. Although my daughters Treager has been faultless the reviews have been less than I would like to see.

I've found my own self reading considerable detail on pellet grills since the creation of this category. When I read of some folk's complaints I'm reminded how much I would hate manufacturing consumer goods. And like you, I've come across lots of negative reviews on Traeger grills but I wonder, too, if we need to consider the market share as part of the equation.

To Jon's point, I'm most intrigued to learn of Weber's fire management; the auger configuration, fire pot, and how they incorporate their flavorizor bar system. It will certainly be interesting to look at their pics and the owner's manual when they are released!

I'm thinking the same, Weber is usually a few steps out of the box when it comes to innovative designs so it should be something different than what everyone else is doing.
As far as the reviews go I usually take the negatives with a grain of salt, but the thing I'm seeing is almost all of the bad reviews seem to be the same and it involves the electronics. On the other had the reviews for the Rec Tec almost all are positive. But as you said it may be the amount of Treagers vs. Rec Tec, Treager is by far the largest manufacture of pellet grills.

I have a Traeger Timberline 850, which I purchased about 2 years ago. I have not had any issues with it. It appears that the problems people have with Traegers are on earlier models. Traeger did a nice job with the Timberlines. I have also noticed that some people purchase a pellet grill and really don’t understand what they purchased. They need to kept clean (vacuum fire pot, clean out grease) and they do have limitations.

Yes, I definitely agree that just like gas grills you can’t expect a pellet grill to perform up to par if you neglect its care. With my Rec Tec, I find that, depending what has been cooked, it is necessary to remove the large stainless heat deflector/grease pan every cook or two. I wash it off with Simple Green and Sam grill cleaner on the bottom and then recover as recommended with a new sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil. While that is off I use a very small shop vac to vacuum out the small ash residue on the lower half of the barrel and vacuum out the fire pot. Put in a small handful of pellets to prime the pot for next cook and replace everything including the easily cleaned stainless grates. All told a 20 minute job, even throwing in an exterior wipe down with Simple Green. I am sure it will eventually be necessary to do a heavy duty cleaning, but so far use has just nicely seasoned the inside.

If I didn’t consistently do the cleaning described above, though, issues with performance and ash intrusion I am sure would arise. Just like some people we pick up cast off Weber’s from where it is likely the grill never saw a single clean out and is now a fire trap.

Last edited:
There is no reason (even given harsh conditions) the electronics should not hold up well if made properly. After all think about the electronics under the hood of your car. BCM, PCM, TCM and so on not to mention electrical distribution panels and so much more. Anywhere from sub arctic chill to furnace level heat and sometimes all within literal minutes. Yet for the most part (unless you have some of the crap being produced by Fiat/Chrysler) they're pretty much dead reliable. Sadly from seeing what I saw working at a major rental company stuff produced by FCA many times goes from the transport truck to the dealer shop and stays there waiting for parts for weeks at a time. But that aside there is no reason any of the companies can't make the tech dependable

I have a Traeger Timberline 850, which I purchased about 2 years ago. I have not had any issues with it. It appears that the problems people have with Traegers are on earlier models. Traeger did a nice job with the Timberlines. I have also noticed that some people purchase a pellet grill and really don’t understand what they purchased. They need to kept clean (vacuum fire pot, clean out grease) and they do have limitations.

You may be right because a lot of those reviews were quite old. My daughters Traeger is about three years old and is used a lot and it's had zero issues.

I am definitely a fan of Rec Tec and am very happy with my RT-700 “Bull,” but I have to admit that Traeger’s Timberline series definitely looks impressive in features and materials. It seems to be a big improvement over earlier Traeger models. Of course, it is priced a good bit higher, so it needs to deliver. The new Ironwood series appears to be an attempt by Traeger to offer some of the Timberline features in a more competitively priced grill. I am sure both would be good grills, but the Timberline is clearly the flagship.

Jon has a second generation Rec Tec and I have their 1st generation "Portable" RT-300. Rec Tec's number gives the square in. of cooking grill space. I upgraded mine to the WIFI controller and it made a big difference. I also picked up a used Camp Chef DLX. I put the Rec Tec controller in it and it made a big improvement. Pellet grills have evolved since the early Traegers and the major manufacturers are putting out a better product. I wonder if Weber will use Porcelain coated Steel, Stainless, or a mix. I really like my heavily modified Camp Chef so i'm hoping that Weber doesn't come out with a mid sized grill that gets me drooling. :D

I also picked up a used Camp Chef DLX.......... I put the Rec Tec controller in it and it made a big improvement. ...... I really like my heavily modified Camp Chef .........

I have a DLX, and a couple of questions. What was wrong with the DLX that needed improving? I couldn't be happier with mine.
What did the REC TEC controller improve?
What other mods have you made?

At 78 picking up one end and moving it really hurt my back. I cut 3.5' off the bare legs and added casters. Moves effortlessly. I added a lower shelf to increase stability. I put the shelf in upside down so I have a lip to keep things from rolling off. That worked and is even more important now that I have casters. My Camp Chef controller produced excellent Q but flamed out on too many occasions. The Rec Tec WIFI Controller produces much more smoke flavor at 250 and below and doesn't flame out. I built a wiring harness so I could back-fit the old controller if I wanted.

NOW THE POSITIVES - and why my son is getting my portable Rec Tec. Just the right amount of cook space for everything I do. Because the back wall is vertical I can stack 3 Jerky racks in it and do 4 lbs. of beef at once. It has a burn pot dump which is nice. It has a pellet dump if I ever want to change out pellets. It has a shelf on the right side which I use constantly. I have $330 invested in my DLX and the comparable Rec Tec costs $900 but it has more Stainless Steel.

I only have experience with two brands so I'm not comparing them to GMG, Traeger, MAK or any others. Both are excellent Pellet Grills. Each have unique features that draw people to the brand. I am delighted with both of my grills and the modifications I made to my Camp Chef just improve my BBQ quality of life.

Here is a few pics and you can see the blue smoke in 2 of them - temp. at 180°. That's 3 lb. of Beef on 2 Jerky racks.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1GUpDpFU6Ypn6xfv5

Last edited:
Len, that is some great work. I have been wanting to add a lower shelf and wheels myself. Can you please share details
such as where you got the wheels and shelf, and build details? If I am correct, it looks the wheels and shelf can be picked
up on Amazon for about $150 total.
Nice to see you are using yours for jerky as well. I haven't lately, but need to make up a few more batches soon.

Last edited:
Dave, here's a TVWB link to the shelf. Best price I can find. https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01BG1BUFA/tvwb-20 As I said, I installed it upside down. If I had planned to store heavy stuff (like a cast iron dutch oven and skillet) I probably wouldn't have gone the upside down route.

I used 3" locking swivel stem casters from Lowes in stock. https://www.lowes.com/pd/TITAN-3-in-Rubber-Swivel-Caster/1000597489
I cut 3.5" off the legs with a hacksaw then manufactured a 3/4" plywood plug that fit snug in the bottom of the leg. Cut a skosh big and sand to fit. I tapped mine into position with a hammer. I drilled a proper size hole in the center of the plug and tapped a T Nut in with a little Gorilla Glue to make sure it wouldn't rotate. I then glued the plugs into the leg, drilled the metal on 2 sides and put two wood screws in for insurance.

My shelf only cost $60 last year and casters were $15 this July with the military discount. I used a broken controller that, due to blind luck, I managed to fix so my cost was $75. You should be able to do yours for about $85.

I hope this helps and feel free to PM me with any questions. If you do it I'd love to hear how it turns out.

Chris, if we're hijacking this thread please feel free to tell us to take it offline.

Back