Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions about what Weber will be offering...

Jon has a second generation Rec Tec and I have their 1st generation "Portable" RT-300. Rec Tec's number gives the square in. of cooking grill space. I upgraded mine to the WIFI controller and it made a big difference. I also picked up a used Camp Chef DLX. I put the Rec Tec controller in it and it made a big improvement. Pellet grills have evolved since the early Traegers and the major manufacturers are putting out a better product. I wonder if Weber will use Porcelain coated Steel, Stainless, or a mix. I really like my heavily modified Camp Chef so i'm hoping that Weber doesn't come out with a mid sized grill that gets me drooling.
    Old dog, learning new tricks - one cook at a time :-). -14.5" and 18.5" WSM, SS Performer, CB Rotisserie, Camp Chef Smokepro DLX (Modified) Pellet Grill

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Newby View Post
    I also picked up a used Camp Chef DLX.......... I put the Rec Tec controller in it and it made a big improvement. ...... I really like my heavily modified Camp Chef .........
    I have a DLX, and a couple of questions. What was wrong with the DLX that needed improving? I couldn't be happier with mine.
    What did the REC TEC controller improve?
    What other mods have you made?
    E330 1997 Genesis 1000 Blue Performer wsm22 :wsm18: :wsm14: 1983 Red Head Chiefs NFL Edition

At 78 picking up one end and moving it really hurt my back. I cut 3.5' off the bare legs and added casters. Moves effortlessly. I added a lower shelf to increase stability. I put the shelf in upside down so I have a lip to keep things from rolling off. That worked and is even more important now that I have casters. My Camp Chef controller produced excellent Q but flamed out on too many occasions. The Rec Tec WIFI Controller produces much more smoke flavor at 250 and below and doesn't flame out. I built a wiring harness so I could back-fit the old controller if I wanted.

NOW THE POSITIVES - and why my son is getting my portable Rec Tec. Just the right amount of cook space for everything I do. Because the back wall is vertical I can stack 3 Jerky racks in it and do 4 lbs. of beef at once. It has a burn pot dump which is nice. It has a pellet dump if I ever want to change out pellets. It has a shelf on the right side which I use constantly. I have $330 invested in my DLX and the comparable Rec Tec costs $900 but it has more Stainless Steel.

I only have experience with two brands so I'm not comparing them to GMG, Traeger, MAK or any others. Both are excellent Pellet Grills. Each have unique features that draw people to the brand. I am delighted with both of my grills and the modifications I made to my Camp Chef just improve my BBQ quality of life.

Here is a few pics and you can see the blue smoke in 2 of them - temp. at 180. That's 3 lb. of Beef on 2 Jerky racks.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/1GUpDpFU6Ypn6xfv5

Mods I may make in the future. Folding front shelf for more work space around the cooker. A second top cooking grate to extend the upper grate forward. The RTD is an obstacle not easy to overcome and I have ample cooking space without it so this is low priority.
    Last edited by Lew Newby; 09-27-2019 at 02:22 PM.
    Old dog, learning new tricks - one cook at a time :-). -14.5" and 18.5" WSM, SS Performer, CB Rotisserie, Camp Chef Smokepro DLX (Modified) Pellet Grill

Len, that is some great work. I have been wanting to add a lower shelf and wheels myself. Can you please share details
    such as where you got the wheels and shelf, and build details? If I am correct, it looks the wheels and shelf can be picked
    up on Amazon for about $150 total.
    Nice to see you are using yours for jerky as well. I haven't lately, but need to make up a few more batches soon.
    Last edited by Dave in KC; 09-28-2019 at 03:13 AM.
    E330 1997 Genesis 1000 Blue Performer wsm22 :wsm18: :wsm14: 1983 Red Head Chiefs NFL Edition

Dave, here's a TVWB link to the shelf. Best price I can find. https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...G1BUFA/tvwb-20 As I said, I installed it upside down. If I had planned to store heavy stuff (like a cast iron dutch oven and skillet) I probably wouldn't have gone the upside down route.

I used 3" locking swivel stem casters from Lowes in stock. https://www.lowes.com/pd/TITAN-3-in-...ter/1000597489
    I cut 3.5" off the legs with a hacksaw then manufactured a 3/4" plywood plug that fit snug in the bottom of the leg. Cut a skosh big and sand to fit. I tapped mine into position with a hammer. I drilled a proper size hole in the center of the plug and tapped a T Nut in with a little Gorilla Glue to make sure it wouldn't rotate. I then glued the plugs into the leg, drilled the metal on 2 sides and put two wood screws in for insurance.

My shelf only cost $60 last year and casters were $15 this July with the military discount. I used a broken controller that, due to blind luck, I managed to fix so my cost was $75. You should be able to do yours for about $85.

I hope this helps and feel free to PM me with any questions. If you do it I'd love to hear how it turns out.

Chris, if we're hijacking this thread please feel free to tell us to take it offline.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12