How to arrange 6 leg quarters on 22" kettle

Charles Howse

TVWBB Wizard
I'm doing well with my new kettle. No disasters yet (knock on wood).
I need to cook 6 chicken leg quarters. I assume indirect, coals in the center, legs in a circle around the coals.
I see the need for baskets, but till then, which side of the bird should face the coals, and how often to rotate? :blackkettle:

I would put the joint end toward the coals. I would expect for that part to take the longest to cook and the more direct heat would help.

Plenty of room for 6 leg quarters, without crowding, on a 22.
Baskets are nice, but not necessary. Pile a chimney of lit coals on one side, spread a few coals toward the center for a 3 zone fire. Grill with the thigh portions toward the heat for most all of the cook. Flip them if you want when almost done, and then some carefully attended direct to finish.
Sauce near the finish, indirect, if so desired.
Get 'em going Charles, I'm hungry! :)

I agree, plenty of room. I like to break or crack the joint. Seems to solve any bloody joint issue.

Tim

Plenty of room for 6 leg quarters, without crowding, on a 22.
Baskets are nice, but not necessary. Pile a chimney of lit coals on one side, spread a few coals toward the center for a 3 zone fire. Grill with the thigh portions toward the heat for most all of the cook. Flip them if you want when almost done, and then some carefully attended direct to finish.
Sauce near the finish, indirect, if so desired.
Get 'em going Charles, I'm hungry! :)

Thanks for the reply, Bob! I'm hungry, too, but it won't be tonight. It's gonna be some kinda pasta, chicken and broccoli mess. :-(
Sorry, but I'm not quite understanding how/where to place the quarters. Probably NOT in a circle because of the large pile of coals on one side?

Thanks for the reply, Bob! I'm hungry, too, but it won't be tonight. It's gonna be some kinda pasta, chicken and broccoli mess. :-(
Sorry, but I'm not quite understanding how/where to place the quarters. Probably NOT in a circle because of the large pile of coals on one side?
You're overthinking this Chuck. :)
No circle, unless you have a Vortex in the center. Cracking the legs is a good idea, but will take up more space. Indirect cooking, spread them around the grate in whatever fashion you want, swap them around a time or two with the meaty thigh portions towards the heat. More meat, more heat needed and thighs can take it better than the drums.

You're overthinking this Chuck. :)
No circle, unless you have a Vortex in the center. Cracking the legs is a good idea, but will take up more space. Indirect cooking, spread them around the grate in whatever fashion you want, swap them around a time or two with the meaty thigh portions towards the heat. More meat, more heat needed and thighs can take it better than the drums.

How did you know I'm an overthinker? :D I got it now. Pictures when it happens. Thanks

What Bob said#3
What Bob said#7
But very importantly:
One more thing, I'd get some foil below those legs to catch the fat.
What Bob said!
Cleanup will be so much easier!

Baskets are really nice to “sort of mimic” a vortex when pushed together in the center, which works pretty well but it’s not the same.
I like the baskets and use them all the time, put them on one side sort of /\ against the side of the bowl, it again makes cleanup a little easier too.
I’m not as fastidious as some of the members but, I do my best to make cleanup as convenient as possible.
Go for it Charles, it will be great!

Back