Pizza on my Genesis 1000

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
My wife and like the Aldis Moma Cozzi take and bake pizzas. I have heard people cook pizza on grills but I have never tried it. Can I cook one of these take and bake pizzas on my Genesis 1000? Is it imperative that I use a pizza stone or similar? I do have one of those pizza pans for the oven with is just a think coated steel pan with perforated holes in the bottom normally used in the oven. I don't need to get fancy and don't want by some expensive accessory, I just would like to try doing one in my grill instead of heating up the house on hot day.

Thoughts?

Stone or pan is optional. As you know I routinely cook pizza in my Wolf though it does have the rear IR burner that makes things much easier.

Some day I am going to have to have you tutor me on the IR burners. I just really don't understand their use and the theory behind them.....And I certainly don't understand the "IR" part of it.

But, I may just go ahead and give one a shot tomorrow. I plan to defrost it first but then what? What temp do I cook it at and for how long? 3 burners, two burners or one???

Been doing that for years. It is better with a stone but it isn't really a necessity. Your main concern is to get a nice crust without turning it into a cinder before your toppings and cheese are where you want it. I fire up the gassers three burners on high for about 15 minuets then turn them down to medium or medium/low depending on how thick the pizza is. Place the pizza on the grill and close the lid. Depending on how hot your gasser is really cooking wait about three to five minuets and take a peak at the crust. If it appears to be getting too brown turn down the burners. Now you play the peeking game, looking every couple of minutes by just raising the lid just enough to see what's going on.
Total time should be between 20-30 minuets. Because with the direct heat it will be faster than an oven.
let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Rich, the take and bake pizzas I am talking about are usually 375 or 400 degrees and only about 12-15 minutes....thin crust. Should I shout for a bit lower temp and cook it longer than the 12-15 minutes?

Don't go above medium on the burners Bruce. Depending on how your individual grill runs you may want to use low on all 3. Thing is you kinda have to experiment but not tot he point you incinerate your supper :)

Yeah I am thinking all my burners on low is probably still going to be pretty Hot. But I will start there.

I burned up a pizza good in the grill one time. I would definitely say that the lower the better. A professional pizza oven is at 550 degrees, but those ovens allow the pizza to lay flat on the surface of the oven's interior, forming a "gasket" between the flat bottom of the oven and the underside of the crust. Meaning, without a pan you will burn the crust because between the grates it gets too hot. I feel like I'm explaining poorly. Anyway, lower heat should be fine Bruce.

Well, I went ahead and did the pizza. However, I did not do it on my Genesis 1000. I did it on the SS Platinum C. I have been forced to clean it up and put it into commission for our little get together tomorrow. I am doing ribs on the Genesis 1000 and will do Wings on the SS Platinum.

Anyway, I had to play around with it once I got it partially heated up. I started with all 3 burners on full for 7-8 minutes and it was already up to 500 and climbing. So, I turned it down to medium on all three and got it down to about 450 but still climbing slowly. I put all three on low and it dropped a bit, but still a little over 400. So, I turned off all the burners and just left the middle one on and it dropped down to about 360 and held pretty steady. Next came the pizza with the pan. I had it on probably 12-15 minutes and turned it 90 degrees one time since it was a single burner down the middle. I have to say it came out great. At least as good as I would get from the kitchen oven. Nothing burned or dried out and all the toppings were cooked well. I won't be hesitant to cook another pizza on the grill after this. This will be great next summer when it is 90 degrees and the A/C is running and I want to cook a pizza without heating up the house.

BbBUSAB.jpg

Ya did good. Using the pan or stone is the way to go. This summer (with 24 days in a row over 100) we didn't turn on the oven in the house for three months, just used the NG E320 for an oven. We can do anything the oven can do without heating up the house. Even baked bread and made pies. The A/C was very happy about that.

Back