Fall is for soup

David P Harrisburg

TVWBB Member
Just bought a Lodge 7 qt Dutch oven. Anyone have a recipe they care to share. Most of recipes I found are to make chili. Looking for chicken corn or potato or anything but chili. I like chili but it doesnt like me. Ha Ha

Last edited:
No recipe, though when I do soups I do my stock in my Fagor stove top pressure cookers. I love that I can get a flavorful stock that tastes like an all day cook in 30 minutes

No specific measurements to call it a recipe, but I make beef stew quite frequently in my 9 qt. I kind of eyeball it, but below is roughly what I do.

Preheat oven to 250F
Preheat the dutch oven on the stove top (med. high) while cutting ingredients
Cut about 8-10 red potatoes into ~ 1" pieces
Cut Carrots into ~1/2 inch pieces. I usually do about half the volume of carrots to potatoes
Cut stew meat (I usually use sirloin) into small pieces (~3/4")
Dice about half an onion and sometimes a large jalapeno.

Saute the onion (and pepper) in the dutch oven
Add the stew meat and brown
Add potatoes and carrots
Add seasoning (salt, pepper, basil, rosemary, garlic)
Add beef broth to about half the amount of desired liquid
Add a bottle of stout (such as Guinness)
Splash in some Worcestershire sauce
Add bottle of HP Brown Sauce (my family liked the beef stew until I started adding this, now it's their favorite thing I make except maybe gumbo)
Add more stock if necessary for desired amount of liquid
Add a little cornstarch (I stir it in a little water first) to thicken the broth
Bring to a medium boil
Cover and put in the oven

I try to leave it in the oven for two hours, but if the family is hungry, I'll check the potatoes for softness after one and may take it out early.
Serve with a hearty bread.

Last edited:
Here's one I came up with:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?76287-White-Bean-Sweet-Italian-Sausage-Stew

And another - if you don't like anything hot or green peppers, skip it or use something else:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?68961-White-Bean-Chicken-Chili-version-2-0

If you have access to America's test kitchen, their Beef Stew is worth making.
https://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/5027-best-beef-stew

My go-to soup cookbook's been the New England Soup Factory Cookbook, starting around ~2007

Last edited:
Just bought a Lodge 7 qt Dutch oven. Anyone have a recipe they care to share. Most of recipes I found are to make chili. Looking for chicken corn or potato or anything but chili. I like chili but it doesnt like me. Ha Ha

What part about chili don't you like? The spices, or beans (if you add them?)
I'm with Larry, stocks get made in the pressure cooker and finished in a tall soup pot.
DO's are better suited IMO to stews, chilis, chowders.
I love a green or red chili stew in the DO right around anytime, but your right fall is the best.

Edit: I forgot, I did a Mushroom soup in a DO on a kettle in one of the Throwdowns.:rolleyes:
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?38258-Throwdown-10-Mushrooms/page2

Tim

Last edited:
Perfect time of year to throw a beer can chicken (or two) on the grill and use the carcass to make stock.

Perfect time of year to throw a beer can chicken (or two) on the grill and use the carcass to make stock.

We do this every time I cook whole birds. Vacuum sealer bags in the freezer work great for stock. And, it's a good reason to sit around for a couple hours in the evening sipping cocktails and making the whole house smell great.

Rust Belt Chicken Chowder.

Ingredients:
Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs – One pack
Chicken Broth – 32 Oz
2 Cans Creamed Corn
1 Bag Frozen Whole Kernel Corn
1/2 Stick Butter (Unsalted)
1/2 pound Bacon Chopped
2 Medium Potatoes chopped into about 1/2” cubes
1 Quart Heavy Cream
1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
Sprinkle of Smoked Paprika
Dutch Oven 4 quart
I used a gas grill, but you could also use charcoal, or a side burner, or even in the house if you had to.

The Cook:
Fire up the grill and set it up for direct grilling. If you are using charcoal leave an area where you can remove the Dutch oven from the heat to control temperatures.
Take your chicken and grill it direct until the internal temperature is 160 degrees F
Put the Dutch oven over the heat and add your bacon.
Sweat the bacon to render the fat.
Now add your butter and melt.
Once the butter is melted sprinkle the flower over the melted butter and stir.
Continue stirring the flower for a couple of minutes to cook the flower taste out of it.
Add the chicken stalk and stir in.
Bring this to a boil and then add your chopped potatoes.
Lower the heat to bring to a simmer.
Let this simmer for about 20 minutes stirring every once in a while.
This would be the perfect time to add the cream and the 2 cans of creamed corn.
Cut your grilled chicken into bite sized chunks, and add this to the Dutch oven.
When that comes back to a summer add your whole kernel corn and black pepper.
At this point your chowder is done. To make it a Rust Belt chowder garnish with a light sprinkle of Smoked Paprika.

This is a hardy stick to your ribs dinner. You can serve it with oyster crackers, but I didn’t think it needed any.

I just posted this chicken tortilla soup recipe:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?78935-Smoked-tortilla-Chicken-Soup

Its not overly spicy and if you leave out the jalapeno out its even less spicy. Can serve on the side for those that may want it.

If you smoke or grill a chicken using the carcass, neck etc to make stock adds a nice subtle smokey flavor to any soup. Same goes for beef soup, stews or carbonnade. Smoke or grill the meat prior to making the soup. Veggie stock too. smoke or grill veggies.

Here's a few other things for you try out.

Chicken and Dumplings

Shepards pie

Bottom Round Carbonnade

Seven bone pot roast

Cast Iron Chicken

Dutch oven bread

Dutch oven bread #2

Mississippi pot Roast

Back