In progress restoration of '92 Genesis 2

Douglas A

New to the forum but I thought I would share my story. My wife and I just bought our first home, and as new homeowners one of my first thoughts was, "I really want to buy a Weber grill". I thought about buying the new Spirit ii E-310, but then I started reading about how grills today just aren't made like they used to be. So I starting looking up photos of old grill restores and I fell in love with the look of the Genny 2000. The wood side tables and under carriage are just awesome. And recently one night I found somebody on Facebook giving one away for free. The owners were going to throw it away, but their son talked them into posting it online. I got home and was nearly overwhelmed by the amount of grease built up in the thing. Burner tubes had burnt out holes in them, the flavorizer bars were some sort of Frankenstein creation, the ignitor was shot, and the grates were just a disaster. But I saw potential in this grease bucket. So I have recently spent many, many hours scraping off the built up grease. New parts came the other day and I got them installed. Just waiting on an adapter for the new hose to to fire it up. Once I know it is working, I plan on taking care of making it look nice. It's been fun to work on so far and I would be absolutely lost without this forum, but I have a lot of work to do yet. I'll post pictures soon.

Douglas,

Recommend you consider Imgur.com to help you post the pictures. After uploading them, you select the picture, copy using the "BBCode (message boards and forums)" to copy and paste the link to your post. The picture will then appear for everyone to see. If you have "before" pictures and pictures of the work you are doing, we would love to see those as well!

Welcome aboard!

Thanks for the tip Jon!

4cGgMkV.jpg

T1wBXMz.jpg

SpmgcI7.jpg

GiI9Fks.jpg

nfo9IDP.jpg

What was your source(s) for the burners, grates and flavorizer bars? I see you went with the historically correct porcelain plated stamped steel grates. How did you decide to go with that vs. cast iron or stainless rods? All this is part of the fun we have here discussing pros and cons.

I think you have already got the cooking part of your grill looking ready to go. Really nice detail restore on your burner valves. That hood is not very common, so you got a nice score there. Next will be to see what you can do with the wood slats and getting the flip up tray reinstalled. You will have a way better grill than the new imported stuff you see at the big box stores.

I sourced most of the parts direct from Weber. I compared pricing across several of the websites that sell these parts, but I found Weber's pricing to be very competitive. And I figured "if" I needed to return something, it would be easier to do so with them.
From Weber I ordered:
the burner tubes,
Flavorizer bars (I know should have gotten the bars from rcplanebuyer, but for now these will work)
Igniter switch system
Drip pan holder and drip pans
And warming rack.

I believe I ordered the grates and thermometer from grillparts.com

I did decide to go with the porcelain coated steel. I have never cooked on stainless steel grates before, and the climate in north Idaho would be to crazy for cast iron I think. So The decision was mostly made out of personal comfort. Perhaps I'll upgrade to some premium SS grates in the near future.

And as far as the wood slats are concerned, I am planning to replace them with either cedar or redwood. I need a wood that will tolerate the weather here, and either would be a good choice. And this grill did not come complete with the side tables. As far as I can tell, it is set up for a right and a left table. I can't find a lot of information about them. There are two brackets, one on each back leg, that I haven't seen in any schematics, so I don't know if the swing arm and bracket changed from this series to the 1000-5000 series. I constantly keeping my eyes peeled on CList and FB Marketplace, looking for people trying to get rid of their old grills, As I haven't found a good source for all of the brackets yet.

I am curious what others find most useful to degrease the outside of the cook box and hood end caps. So when I get ready to paint I can achieve a strong bond.

Also I have been really curious about the hood. I saw a brochure posted somewhere in these forums for the Genesis 1000-5000 series. The grey lid was only available on the 3000-5000. I have not been able to find any information regarding the available colors for the Genesis 2. I love that it is different, but I am wondering if it was swapped with another hood at some point. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Douglas, I am in the middle of doing one myself, although I am turning a 2000 into a 3000.
Question ..... the pic of the fire box ..... does that back right corner have holes in it?

Unfortunately the back right corner has rusted out a bit. The grill was neglected for a long time by it's previous owners, but I'm constantly looking for a doner grill to replace the box with. Other than that one spot, there isn't really any rust, besides a small spot by the bolt that connect the frame to the firebox, but thats it.

Also I have been really curious about the hood. I saw a brochure posted somewhere in these forums for the Genesis 1000-5000 series. The grey lid was only available on the 3000-5000. I have not been able to find any information regarding the available colors for the Genesis 2. I love that it is different, but I am wondering if it was swapped with another hood at some point. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Douglas,

Looking closer at your picture, I see a bracket to hold a swing table on the RIGHT side. I believe what you have is NOT a Genesis 2 but actually a Genesis 4 which did have this hood color and swing up tables on BOTH sides. I think the wood slats were originally stained an opaque gray rather than the clear/somewhat red stain on cedar you see on the "lesser" models. I wouldn't blame you for using new wood, and if you can get redwood consider yourself lucky for living out west. No one I have asked can source redwood for me here in Florida.

Yes, a Genesis 4. Came with two matching porcelain-enameled removable serving trays and two removable wooden work surfaces...you might ask the previous owner if they still have those two gray serving trays...up in the attic or stuck in that inaccessible cabinet above the refrigrerator. :)

https://tvwbb.com/docs/1990-weber-genesis-brochure.pdf
https://tvwbb.com/docs/1993-weber-genesis-spirit-brochure.pdf

What seems to be missing for a Genesis 4 is the FlameCheck Safety System button on the control panel. It's shown and mentioned in the 1990 brochure, it's shown in the photo but not mentioned in the product description in the 1993 brochure, so maybe that fits with Douglas' dating of the grill to 1992 and the dropping of that feature.

Douglas,

Looking closer at your picture, I see a bracket to hold a swing table on the RIGHT side. I believe what you have is NOT a Genesis 2 but actually a Genesis 4 which did have this hood color and swing up tables on BOTH sides. I think the wood slats were originally stained an opaque gray rather than the clear/somewhat red stain on cedar you see on the "lesser" models. I wouldn't blame you for using new wood, and if you can get redwood consider yourself lucky for living out west. No one I have asked can source redwood for me here in Florida.

You know, now that you mention it, the wood does have a bit of a grey look to it. I thought it was just weathered. Maybe I will have to take that into account when I finally get to it. Thanks Jon!

Yes, a Genesis 4. Came with two matching porcelain-enameled removable serving trays and two removable wooden work surfaces...you might ask the previous owner if they still have those two gray serving trays...up in the attic or stuck in that inaccessible cabinet above the refrigrerator. :)

https://tvwbb.com/docs/1990-weber-genesis-brochure.pdf
https://tvwbb.com/docs/1993-weber-genesis-spirit-brochure.pdf

What seems to be missing for a Genesis 4 is the FlameCheck Safety System button on the control panel. It's shown and mentioned in the 1990 brochure, it's shown in the photo but not mentioned in the product description in the 1993 brochure, so maybe that fits with Douglas' dating of the grill to 1992 and the dropping of that feature.

I'll post a picture tomorrow of the model# and serial#. From what I've read, based on those numbers it is indeed a gen2. But I'm no expert.

Unfortunately the back right corner has rusted out a bit. The grill was neglected for a long time by it's previous owners, but I'm constantly looking for a doner grill to replace the box with. Other than that one spot, there isn't really any rust, besides a small spot by the bolt that connect the frame to the firebox, but thats it.

I think several members have patched a small hole in the firebox like that with a high temp patching compound. I think it was jb weld extreme heat.

L3 confirms that this grill began life as a Genesis 2. I guess the Genesis 4 parts were added at some point...I bet that’s an interesting story!

Back