Prime Rib Eyes and Planked Potatoes

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
My wife spotted these rib eyes at Costco last week. I swear, I can't get near the back side of that store without becoming fixated with the meats. These were on the smaller side, around 9 or 10 oz. each. Sided them up with planked russets and some simple grilled asparagus.

Earlier in the day I roasted these potatoes on my JJ. Cubed them up and added some butter.

enhance

Soaked a cedar plank. Mashed up the potatoes while adding milk. Then some sour cream, minced garlic and some fresh rosemary. Put the mixture on the plank and topped with cheddar and green onions.

enhance

Here's the steaks. I later rubbed them down with salt for about a 2 hour dry brine.

enhance

The potatoes took most of the time on this cook. Got them on first.

enhance

Potatoes getting there.

enhance

Got the steaks going on my new set of 10.5" circular GrillGrates that my wife gave me.

enhance

Threw on some asparagus, just oil, salt and pepper.

enhance

Steaks getting there.

enhance

enhance

A little indirect.

enhance

Hey, Cliff. I haven't been posting much, but just wanted to let you know that I'm moving to Redding! ;) Fantastic stuff, my friend!

Rich

Funny, I’ve been thinking about a planked potato thing for a few days, now, I want to know where you hid the microphones in my kitchen!?
I have a similar problem with Costco, I stopped for Kleenex today and walked out with fifty bucks of stuff I was not planning on! I forced myself to avoid the meat counter and just snagged blue label vodka, and some Parmesan as unintended goods then realized I needed ice at the last second!

Last edited:
Great dinner. I never thought of making a potato on a plank before. I'm going to do that one next time I have the family over. Very cool idea.

That looks great Cliff. From the photos I'm taking it you used multiple grills?

First, that is a killer plate of goodness Cliff, we love planked potatoes and I do ours exactly like you did. Boy I'm glad to hear I'm not alone, I just gravitate toward the meat department when I go to Costco. Got to see what great protein is available every time I go there.

That was an awesome cook Cliff. Time to do some planked potatoes again, it's been a while since we have had them.

Thank you everyone!

Very cool idea.

Thanks Mark. Not my creation though. Saw this on line, a recipe from Mike Lang at Weber.

That looks great Cliff. From the photos I'm taking it you used multiple grills?

I did Bob. I do this occasionally, for my convenience. Items that are cooked similarly I'll double or even triple up on one grill. Items that require a different set ups, direct, indirect or high heat, low heat etc., I jump to a couple of grills.

Last edited:
Great looking cook Cliff. I wish my Costco had 10oz rib eyes, I only see 16 oz'ers.

Beautiful cook! I've never seen the planked potatoes before, but I really like the idea. Makes it easy to serve family style too.

RE: Costco meat section. Every couple of weeks or so, I have a some time after work before I meet my wife to head home (carpool). I frequently stop at the big Costco nearby (world's largest!), and cruise the meat aisles. Then I head over to the freezer cases where they have whole lamb and whole hog, dressed and ready to go. My wife teases that I'm going to get picked up by the vice squad someday.

Almost missed this one, outstanding, as always!
I'd like to try the planked spuds, except no cedar plank or rosemary would be involved, maybe using an alder or hickory plank.
We both have an aversion to anything conifer tasting.

Beautiful cook! I've never seen the planked potatoes before, but I really like the idea. Makes it easy to serve family style too.

RE: Costco meat section. Every couple of weeks or so, I have a some time after work before I meet my wife to head home (carpool). I frequently stop at the big Costco nearby (world's largest!), and cruise the meat aisles. Then I head over to the freezer cases where they have whole lamb and whole hog, dressed and ready to go. My wife teases that I'm going to get picked up by the vice squad someday.

EEEEEK! WHOLE HOG in a Costco???????? The mind boggles. It's a bloomin' good thing I don't live anywhere near there.

It might be a three pack but, I don’t think you’d have a hard time dispatching three hog Cliff!
I see the lambs there and remember a party when my dad did a whole lamb for a big party for his colleagues when he was teaching. It was a great party, I was pretty young but I remember the lamb all spitted and roasting away, being blasted with lemon, olive oil and herbs using a bunch of rosemary. I will never forget that! Now, I really want some lamb!

Back