Silver B Restore Idea

EddF

TVWBB Member
So I think I’m addicted. Having just finished my first Restore, I have the spare silver b sitting in my garage that I used for a wheel and lid swap. No one near me wants it for free, so I had the idea to restore it instead, and sell it. I had a crazy idea that I wanted some feedback on.

Since it is a silver b with a black lid, I had an idea of painting the sides and body with high heat silver paint gloss and the knobs, handle, and plastic side tables in a matte finish silver to make it pop. Only thing I’m wondering is if anyone thinks it’ll look tacky? I figured a silver should have some silver on it, right?

For a flip grill?
I am not sure that is something I would try. But I would love to see how it turns out and how it sells

So i don't know why I said the body, I meant to say the firebox. I will keep the body black, keep the side table the color it is and paint the end caps for the side table and the condiment holder thing on the right side of the control panel. Will match the silver gloss to the handle and knobs, and paint the firebox / lid sides (not the porcelain) with the matte silver. (I thought about painting it reversed, but it might look weird having a silver gloss on the firebox and sides, right?

Play with and have a little fun. As long as it looks decent, clean, works and you can
still sell it reasonably cheap, someone will buy it. Virtually no one knows exactly what
these grills looked like originally at this point. Many of us that post here are Weber
dorks 24 hours a day, and we still often times have to ask if something has been
altered.

I agree with Dave.

Hey Edd, you're somewhat local. I live right over the river in Bethlehem PA.

I'll look for your grill on Craigslist :)

I made this Silver A into a "Red Leg." I sold this one in one day but I wasn't trying to make any money on it, just wanted something bigger.

If you have a enough fantasy there are no limits. I am also working on a very customized Silver B right now. However I would be careful in painting the Thermoset tables. I am sure any paint will scratch very easy when you work with grill utensils.

So I started with this idea. And I think it may be a bad idea after all. I did the sides of the lid before I cleaned the firebox to test it. Here’s how it looks. May have to go flat black I guess (does it look as bad as I think it does lol)

TtqihEg_d.jpg

I don’t know, I think it’s kind of “different”, and there’s nothing wrong with a bit of diversity!
Why didn’t you take the endcaps off to do the paint though?
That reminds me, I have to take a hood apart!

I wish they would offer most of these high heat paints in brush on versions so that you could mix colors besides the rattle cans. But all you get is brush on paint in black.

I don’t know, I think it’s kind of “different”, and there’s nothing wrong with a bit of diversity!
Why didn’t you take the endcaps off to do the paint though?
That reminds me, I have to take a hood apart!

I probably should have, but this is the older lid that I swapped from my genesis 1000 that i restored, so I didn't want to open the can of worms in case the bolts wouldn't come off lol.

So I painted the silver back to flat black but it actually added some slight speckling and a slight gloss to it which is perfect. Went and decided to try the hammered silver on just the handle, knobs, and side pieces (not the flip table, gonna leave that stock.). I think it’s going to add just enough pop without looking gaudy.

AIY8YD6_d.jpg

I have to order the burner tube that connects the three tubes but I don’t know which model this is technically or the part number. Does anyone know? The handle is different from the 2000 silver b

So I painted the silver back to flat black but it actually added some slight speckling and a slight gloss to it which is perfect. Went and decided to try the hammered silver on just the handle, knobs, and side pieces (not the flip table, gonna leave that stock.). I think it’s going to add just enough pop without looking gaudy.

AIY8YD6_d.jpg

I think you should feel free to have fun with it and see how it all gels. I will say that painting plastic handles and trim is a bit of an iffy proposition. Those of use who have tried it a little have had some disappointments with how it holds up. But, it DOES look good, so I will be very interested to see what you come up with.

Back