Using Genesis 3000 without side burner?

Stefan H

TVWBB Guru
I have this Skyline 3000 I want to start working on once the heat is gone. I already have a Genesis C and don’t really need a second grill with a side burner. I am thinking of replacing the side burner with a shelf. The side burner is hooked up via quick connect fittings. So long story short: Can I use the manifold without plugging in the side burner? Are these female quick connects closed if nothing plugs in? Or do I need to use the manifold of a 1000/2000? Thx

I don't see why not. Its a female quick disconnect. I'd just check for a leak before lighting the grill if it's never been run before. Or you could probably plug it with the right fitting. But I'm not an expert on this stuff.

Stefan:
On the 2007 Genesis, the quick disconnect is at the burner. Not sure if the female on the line would hold gas. On my manifold it has a 3/8 flare fitting x 1/8" into the manifold. Best bet would be to plug the manifold with the appropriate fitting taking the quick disconnect out of the mix.

I agree with Dan. Buy the 1/8 plug and then you don't have to guess. Probably $1.00 at any hardware or Home Depot, Menards, Lowes type store.

Stephan, if you decide to plug the hole, I could use that disconnect. I am actually going
the other way - turning a 2000 into a 3000.

If you want to get rid of the fitting just install a 1/8" NPT plug with pipe dope on the threads made for gas. I would be interested in that fitting of you'd want to send it my way. PM me if you would be interested.

I did the same thing turned a 3000 into a 2000 added a shelf and right hand flip up shelf also. Used a 1/8 NPT plug to close up the manifold. Repurposed the side burner into a charcoal chimney lighter on my WSM and jumbo joe cart I made out of a 1000 frame.

28434581667_13d9896f3d_z.jpg
[/url]100_1360 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

37382092162_b41fb0fc9b_z.jpg
[/url]DSCN3595 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

36758629936_af6be7c1aa_z.jpg
[/url]DSCN2766 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Rich, those are some great mods. One question. With the right hand swing table, is that just a left hand slide bar converted or does weber actually make one for that side of the grills?

OH, OK, i guess I haven't noticed one of those before. I suppose those right hand ones are pretty rare though.

Yes only the 4000 and 5000 had the right swing up table. They are very rare indeed. I have never seen one for sale in my area.

Bruce, the hardware for the right swing up is no longer made and it's the unicorn of the swing ups. I was lucky I found a new one at Ereplacement parts when I did the conversion a few years ago. I tried later on to get another one but they were no longer available.
I may be wrong, which isn't unusual for me but I think someone on the forum modified a left hand slider so it could be used on the right side. Not sure what they did though.

Rich, I thought I remembered a thread on someone doing that as well. It does seem possible and it also seems like something that could be fabbed up with a piece of 3/4" x 1/16" flat stock.

I have a swing table waiting to go on the right side of my grill but I cannot find the bracket. However I have two or three extra left side brackets. I suspect if I keep doing this I will find a donor grill that has what I need one day, maybe.

Back