Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious question LOL

Serious question LOL

I know this might sound silly to ask but here goes.......

Is a cabinet style smoker worth the jump in cost over a WSM? LOL I know this is probably the wrong forum for that but had to ask. I have a 22" WSM and I absolutely love it. I'm debating on adding a cabinet smoker mainly for brisket and ribs. Seems like that style smoker might be more consistent with temps and times. BUT I also am thinking about dressing up the WSM with some add ons to help with temps and times ie; guru, partyQ, etc along with the Cajun bandit door. Certainly the cheaper route would be to modify the WSM. Just thoughts, if anyone has one or two. Thanks.
    TroyS
    Smokin' STARS BBQ

TVWBB Fan
    A 22" WSM does brisket and ribs very well. Are you just wanting to do more meat at one time?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelley Brown View Post
    A 22" WSM does brisket and ribs very well. Are you just wanting to do more meat at one time?
    Not really more at once. Just wondering about consistency with a cabinet style.
    TroyS
    Smokin' STARS BBQ

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyS View Post
    Not really more at once. Just wondering about consistency with a cabinet style.
    I've never used a cabinet style or pellet style smoker. The WSM is one of the most consistent smokers there is. Best results with any of them are after you nail down your process.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelley Brown View Post
    I've never used a cabinet style or pellet style smoker. The WSM is one of the most consistent smokers there is. Best results with any of them are after you nail down your process.
    Thanks Kelley you're right, I just need to fine tune what I have.
    TroyS
    Smokin' STARS BBQ

TVWBB Member
    I highly recommend the Cajun Bandit door...it really reduces air infiltration. That plus a guru should put you in WSM heaven...

I’m planing on a blower down the road as well; but we have a small family and smaller 8-10lb briskets are fine for us...no need for overnight cooks.
    WSM 18.5, Inkbird IRF-4S, Kizen Instant Thermometer

Troy,

Food for thought...

The WSM is a common smoker found at pro comps !

Just yesterday, the wife and I judged the KCBS pro comp at Bayfair in San Diego. Our own TVWBB member JerryA, pitmaster of Burnin' & Lootin', won the Reserve Grand Championship. I believe Jerry is still cooking on a WSM for at least 1 meat.

And also yesterday, but at a KCBS pro comp in Boise, Idaho, our own TVWBB member Vincent Carrocci, pitmaster of Rhythm 'n Que, won the Reserve Grand Championship cooking on ONLY WSMs !

If you ask Harry Soo... he'll tell you "it's not the Pit, it's the Pitmaster" . Something to think about... !!!

AND, JerryA is currently #5 in the Nation in the KCBS points race !!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Bob Bass; 09-15-2019 at 05:18 PM.
    KCBS, SCA, Operation BBQ Relief

Quote Originally Posted by KToliver View Post
    I highly recommend the Cajun Bandit door...it really reduces air infiltration. That plus a guru should put you in WSM heaven...

Iím planing on a blower down the road as well; but we have a small family and smaller 8-10lb briskets are fine for us...no need for overnight cooks.
    I'm going to check those items out thank you.
    TroyS
    Smokin' STARS BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bass View Post
    Troy,

Food for thought...

The WSM is a common smoker found at pro comps !

Just yesterday, the wife and I judged the KCBS pro comp at Bayfair in San Diego. Our own TVWBB member JerryA, pitmaster of Burnin' & Lootin', won the Reserve Grand Championship. I believe Jerry is still cooking on a WSM for at least 1 meat.

And also yesterday, but at a KCBS pro comp in Boise, Idaho, our own TVWBB member Vincent Carrocci, pitmaster of Rhythm 'n Que, won the Reserve Grand Championship cooking on ONLY WSMs !

If you ask Harry Soo... he'll tell you "it's not the Pit, it's the Pitmaster" . Something to think about... !!!

AND, JerryA is currently #5 in the Nation in the KCBS points race !!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks Bob, great info and points.

Quote Originally Posted by KToliver View Post

I’m planing on a blower down the road as well; but we have a small family and smaller 8-10lb briskets are fine for us...no need for overnight cooks.
    Would the Cajun Bandit door with new latch be the correct one? I've read something about issues with the latch but that might be my mistake on which latch it is. Also what Guru model do you recommend?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast