Genesis II firebox coating

Gabe A

Hello, I just bought a new Genesis II S-435, and upon initial inspection noticed that most of the firebox appears to have a textured gray coating inside but part looks like it doesn’t (this part is completely smooth). I was wondering 1) what the coating is and 2) how big a deal this is. Should I exchange it for a new grill? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Can you provide a photo of what you’re talking about? As far as I know, the entire inside of the firebox is simply the unpainted, slightly rough cast aluminum finish, the inside of the lid has a smooth sheet metal insert with the Weber logo that serves to insulate the lid, and the removable drip tray at the bottom of the firebox is shiny, smooth, black porcelain enamel.

Are you saying there are areas of overspray of the smoother gray exterior finish on the inside of the firebox? If so, I don't think it will harm anything.

Even the older Genesis grills seemed to have some overspray along the top edges of the cook box, but no to any great degree. Certainly not "most of the firebox". And as Chris mentions, this shouldn't be a problem.

Is the outside of the firebox painted with the same coating?

Back