Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New entry into the SS Rod Cooking Grate competition

Timothy, The 304 SS grates are superior to 430 SS grates by most people's standards.
    Some people rescue dogs and cats. I rescue Webers.

It's too bad they are 430 stainless. But if they weren't the price likely wouldn't be so low.

I wouldn't mind the flavorizors on my Weber's being 430. But I don't think I would want the grates being the cheaper stuff? Given the looks of these grates they probably perform great. But I would worry about the long term.

I am sure the 430 would probably outlast most grills, even older webers.

I will post my observations soon on these new grates if they arrive today as promised.

I have used some OEM Weber grates that would appear to be 430 stainless (highly magnetic) and in spite of my wet, salt air conditions have found them to hold up fine. I personally think 430 works reasonably well for thick bars that are soon covered with seasoning. It does not work so well in my environment for exposed flat metal shelves and hoods. These pit, and even rust, readily.

I will offer the caveat, though, that I am not altogether convinced that the "stainless" on cheap imported grills that deteriorates so fast is even legitimate 430 stainless but rather contaminated, really low grade material.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, JJ & SJ. Projects: Genesis 4, 2 many!

TVWBB Honor Circle Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Thanks Bruce! I feel better now.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

From a thermodynamic standpoint 400 or 300 should behave the same. It will basically be a function of mass not material. As for corrosion issues, I honestly think 300 series on grates may be over kill. I would rather have some good hefty (3/8" rod) tightly spaced (1/4" or less) 400 series grates than the scrawny spread out stuff in 300 series which IMO are useless

LMichaels you could very well be right? I do know that broil king grills use 430 for the stainless on their hoods and side tables. And after just as year or so that stainless looks horrendous. Even when covered. I've seen it.

It doesn't rust through it just looks REALLY bad. But grates are a different application. Not many care what they look like as opposed to exterior applications. And maybe the high heat would keep any rust at bay/burn it off?

So maybe these grates are the best bargain out there? Too bad we can't test cycle these grates and somehow simulate several hundred cooking cycles and years of use. Maybe Jon can figure out some way to simulate that?

Jon, have you had a chance to measure the spacing of the rods on those grates?

TVWBB Honor Circle Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    This is interesting to me from some several standpoints.
    My metallurgical knowledge comes from “precious metal” understanding. The more pure the metal the higher the primary metal (14K, 18K, 22K...) since steel by its very parameters begins as an alloy, I feel a little in the dark. But, since it’s a fairly normal place for me, I generally just shut my eyes and take a nap.
    So, does 400 series make my pork chop look or taste better than 300 series? Or is this an exercise in longevity of grates, and how long do I expect to live anyway?
    I’ve got more “stuff” that will outlive me unless I do something super stupid anyway. Should I give a hoot in heck?
    Most of the time I just want to outlive the ice I bought this afternoon.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Here is a basic overview of the two popular Stainless steels.

https://sciencing.com/430-vs-304-sta...l-7744463.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12