New entry into the SS Rod Cooking Grate competition

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Jon: A set of these would be a welcome entry in your cooking grate competition. The are supposed to be 8mm rods and there is some discrepency of the number of rods per grate half. There seems to be either 17 or 18. That would make the rods not only larger than the other economy grates, but also more of them per half grate. At less than $60 a set, they are definitely in the price range.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B06Y18YRGS/tvwb-20

They look really nice. I do wonder if they are 300 or 400 series stainless? The description doesn't say. It just says premium stainless. If they are non magnetic stainless they are a terrific bargain.

They are 430 stainless steel according to the seller under answered questions, still a pretty good value though.

If someone grabs a set of these in the near future, please post up a review in this thread. I would probably grab a set for my rehabs, but I still have a set of Honsgo grates for my latest rehab and I am not sure I will doing another one before I wrap things up for the year. I certainly don't need any more grill stuff to store over the winter.

OK, ever the pushover for something new...I went ahead and used up a bunch of my accumulated Amazon points to add this one as final entry to my evaluation. I will have it tomorrow.

I would love to do a video, but too much stress right now to make that realistic anytime soon. I also realized that my limited equipment can't handle the huge file sizes, so if I get to do this I will have to either pay for help or buy something better...

So, I will evaluate this one, take some more pictures and publish my findings here on our board so that we can all benefit, at least I hope!

Great Jon. Looking forward to reviews on all the entries. But, no need to rush it.

Thanks Jon I need to get going on my 1985 Gen 2 now that it's starting to cool down I can work in the garage without getting heat stoke. Although I think for that one I will try and keep original so the porcelain coated originals will probably stay.
Looking forward to your review.

Yes, those grates look nice. Too bad I’m not in the market for a set anytime soon. I still have a couple sets waiting to be used.

Never fails! I get something and a new, better mousetrap comes along! Just got a set of 304 grates! Now, here’s a set of 400 series! Oh well, I don’t think I’m going to be replacing the ones I just bought for some time to come, I don’t use the gasser that much anyway. I will be happy to read/see reviews from the discriminating folks here!! Thanks for doing the trail blazing!
I think I’m going to have rein in all my tinkering with grills and get back to simply using them! Wife just got “retired” from her job since the same happened to me several years ago (then the industry kind of went nuts and I doubt that I will return to it) so the finances simply are not going to be there. Concentrating on frugality with respect to ingredients is always a fun project for me! Get the most use out of every food dollar!

Last edited:
Timothy, The 304 SS grates are superior to 430 SS grates by most people's standards.

It's too bad they are 430 stainless. But if they weren't the price likely wouldn't be so low.

I wouldn't mind the flavorizors on my Weber's being 430. But I don't think I would want the grates being the cheaper stuff? Given the looks of these grates they probably perform great. But I would worry about the long term.

I will post my observations soon on these new grates if they arrive today as promised.

I have used some OEM Weber grates that would appear to be 430 stainless (highly magnetic) and in spite of my wet, salt air conditions have found them to hold up fine. I personally think 430 works reasonably well for thick bars that are soon covered with seasoning. It does not work so well in my environment for exposed flat metal shelves and hoods. These pit, and even rust, readily.

I will offer the caveat, though, that I am not altogether convinced that the "stainless" on cheap imported grills that deteriorates so fast is even legitimate 430 stainless but rather contaminated, really low grade material.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

From a thermodynamic standpoint 400 or 300 should behave the same. It will basically be a function of mass not material. As for corrosion issues, I honestly think 300 series on grates may be over kill. I would rather have some good hefty (3/8" rod) tightly spaced (1/4" or less) 400 series grates than the scrawny spread out stuff in 300 series which IMO are useless

LMichaels you could very well be right? I do know that broil king grills use 430 for the stainless on their hoods and side tables. And after just as year or so that stainless looks horrendous. Even when covered. I've seen it.

It doesn't rust through it just looks REALLY bad. But grates are a different application. Not many care what they look like as opposed to exterior applications. And maybe the high heat would keep any rust at bay/burn it off?

So maybe these grates are the best bargain out there? Too bad we can't test cycle these grates and somehow simulate several hundred cooking cycles and years of use. Maybe Jon can figure out some way to simulate that?

This is interesting to me from some several standpoints.
My metallurgical knowledge comes from “precious metal” understanding. The more pure the metal the higher the primary metal (14K, 18K, 22K...) since steel by its very parameters begins as an alloy, I feel a little in the dark. But, since it’s a fairly normal place for me, I generally just shut my eyes and take a nap.
So, does 400 series make my pork chop look or taste better than 300 series? Or is this an exercise in longevity of grates, and how long do I expect to live anyway?
I’ve got more “stuff” that will outlive me unless I do something super stupid anyway. Should I give a hoot in heck?
Most of the time I just want to outlive the ice I bought this afternoon.

Back