9/11

timothy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Let us not forget the ones that paid the ultimate sacrifice, and keep them in our prayers.

Tim

Amen. Still hurts every day just like it happened yesterday. Still a part of me exists that would just as soon see us vaporize that part of the world and end all this but, that's as wrong as what they did to us

When I was working in California one of my Co workers lost two of his brothers that were NYFD fireman. They had a T shirt sale to help support the families of those who perished, of course I bought one and wore it for the 17th time yesterday. Even though I was in the hospital for foot surgery It's my way of remembering all those that gave the ultimate sacrifice.

I still remember being at work when my boss told me what happened. As I was driving home, I was pretty numb that day and the following day. A couple people in my town were on Flight 11.

Very sad.

Never forget.

It's like the day JFK was shot, I was 6 but still remember it. Well, not the date, but the event.

I was on my way to work, driving north along the west side of O'Hare Airport, listening to WLS when the first plane hit. The next couple of days were very very strange with complete dead airspace.

Jason Dahl was the captain of flight 93 that crashed in Pennsylvania. I met him when he was the pilot of a flight Barb and I had to Hawaii a year or so before. I believe he told me he was from Chicago where I grew up. Although not related, Dahl is not a very common name and I was shocked to hear he was the pilot of that plane on 9/11. Sometimes a chance encounter becomes a life time memory.

Last edited:
I was home from work with some kind of ailment. Flipping around channels I hit a Mexican station with live pictures of the towers and the words Nuevo York. Took a few seconds to sink in what was happening and where.
Oldest son was in the AF in CO Springs and he talked about how eerie it was to have no planes in the sky out there.

I was a sophomore in HS, in English class, when it came over the intercom about JFK.

Last edited:
Was at home getting ready for the day ahead when the news of the attacks filled the tv screen. Rest of the day, and the days following, were spent glued to the news channels. My wife, I and our eldest son were scheduled to go the National Air Races in Reno Nevada a couple of days later. With all planes being grounded, the races were cancelled that year. One of unlimited airplane race pilots was John Penny. One of his twin daughters, Heather, later became a race pilot, piloting a L-39 jet in the races. Have watched Heather yank that jet around the course multiple times. Heather Penny has a special place within the ranks of those who responded that day.

Remember being in 8th grade science class when we heard the news of JFK's assassination. My next class was concert band where we very reverently played a couple of Bach's works in tribute. At home, my parents had received shipment of a new kitchen table and chairs (in a light sea blue color that was horrible). Lawrence of Arabia was playing at our local cinema which our family had originally planned to see that evening.

I have yet to watch Lawrence of Arabia.

I was in the Army, driving to PT at the gym with CSM O’Brien. (He was a mean som beach but I respected him and so liked to work out with him). Rick and Bubba said a plane hit the first tower. I’m think oh $#/+. I get to the gym and I see everybody crowded around the TV. Then, we saw a second plane hit. The CSM said, “Suit up boys.” We changed into our duty uniform and headed to the hangar.

I was about to retire and a few days later we were loading acft onto a C-5. I was telling the CSM I was going to pull back my papers. He said, “Quit all that flag havin bull$#/+ and get on with your life.” So, I retired but went to work for the Army supporting the deployed troops.

I’ll never forget that time in my life.

Back