Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41

Thread: Lid finish on the newer Q1200 and Q2200 models

  1. #11
    TVWBB Hall of Fame Bruce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,656
    I suppose Weber is saving $5 per grill by skipping the final finishing step on the lids. If so, a bad move in my opinion. The good thing is that these older Q grills last forever if you just replace the grates and burners ever so often. And I am still waiting to hear from someone that purchased a set of the SS grates for them. The grates are easily the weak point of these grills and a stainless solution would be a big plus if they work out well.
    Some people rescue dogs and cats. I rescue Webers.

  2. #12
    TVWBB Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I suppose Weber is saving $5 per grill by skipping the final finishing step on the lids. If so, a bad move in my opinion. The good thing is that these older Q grills last forever if you just replace the grates and burners ever so often. And I am still waiting to hear from someone that purchased a set of the SS grates for them. The grates are easily the weak point of these grills and a stainless solution would be a big plus if they work out well.
    I'm thinking they're maybe trying the "apple" way of making money. Make a grill that works great and lasts, but make it so that it falls apart cosmetically, then owners will buy new ones sooner.

  3. #13
    TVWBB Olympian
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Visalia, CA
    Posts
    8,989
    Dont think they are doing that. I dont get the grate rust thing. I bought my q220 back in 2005 ? So my grate still looks basically new. I clean and oil it after each cook. Not the entire grate, just the top. Twice a year i give the whole grate a decent scrubbing. Then oil it up. I figure that this grate will last forever, at least my lifetime. Its cast iron, you have to take care of it minimally at least.

  4. #14
    TVWBB Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by George Curtis View Post
    Dont think they are doing that. I dont get the grate rust thing. I bought my q220 back in 2005 ? So my grate still looks basically new. I clean and oil it after each cook. Not the entire grate, just the top. Twice a year i give the whole grate a decent scrubbing. Then oil it up. I figure that this grate will last forever, at least my lifetime. Its cast iron, you have to take care of it minimally at least.
    It's probably because you live in a dry climate. Grates are more likely to rust in colder and wetter climates because people tend to stop using their grills once it gets cold. Then as it gets colder and wetter, moisture starts collecting on the grates, then sits there for months until late spring comes around.
    Last edited by A Lee; 09-16-2019 at 01:59 PM.

  5. #15
    TVWBB Olympian
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Visalia, CA
    Posts
    8,989
    We have more moisture than you might think. Anyway, i use mine through the winter. But it does get coverd when not in use. It is outside and getting wet with moisture collecting under the cover. I do no more than oil the grate with pam. No matter when i need to grill, the grate is rust free. Wipe and cook. This winter i didnt cook much and cooked on it after 4 months of not using it. Clean, no rust. So my experiance is that keeping it oiled is critical. Maybe its the pam ?

  6. #16
    TVWBB Olympian
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Visalia, CA
    Posts
    8,989
    Ps, today i felt a black one. It was not smooth but not bad. Compared to the red one at ace, the black one would be considered smooth. Maybe a bad batch ?

  7. #17
    TVWBB Emerald Member Jon Tofte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Hobe Sound, Florida
    Posts
    3,468
    I have noticed the difference looking at the red ones at my Ace. I need to go and check the "titanium" ones they have for sale there. My first impression wasn't really negative about it, but the comments about the rougher texture being very hard to clean do give me pause. Not sure what Weber is thinking or if, in fact, there is actually a quality control issue. The latter seems unlikely to me since it is obviously being seen everywhere.
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 CharQ,Q2200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, SJ. 2 many projects!

  8. #18
    TVWBB Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Tofte View Post
    I have noticed the difference looking at the red ones at my Ace. I need to go and check the "titanium" ones they have for sale there. My first impression wasn't really negative about it, but the comments about the rougher texture being very hard to clean do give me pause. Not sure what Weber is thinking or if, in fact, there is actually a quality control issue. The latter seems unlikely to me since it is obviously being seen everywhere.
    It's not a quality control issue. Weber chose to put the rough matte texture on the north american Q models while sticking with a smooth shinier finish on the same models sold in Australia.

    I think it was a cost decision. The Q series in Australia are regarded has higher end models where in north america they're considered lower models in the Weber line. BTW, has anyone noticed in Australia they sell a Q3200 and Q3600 built-in models?
    Last edited by A Lee; 09-20-2019 at 12:47 PM.

  9. #19
    TVWBB Hall of Fame Bruce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,656
    Why do they get better grills than us? Can we come up with an "ism" for that? Grillism????
    Some people rescue dogs and cats. I rescue Webers.

  10. #20
    TVWBB Emerald Member Jon Tofte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Hobe Sound, Florida
    Posts
    3,468
    Quote Originally Posted by A Lee View Post
    It's not a quality control issue. Weber chose to put the rough matte texture on the north american Q models while sticking with a smooth shinier finish on the same models sold in Australia.

    I think it was a cost decision. The Q series in Australia are regarded has higher end models where in north america they're considered lower models in the Weber line. BTW, has anyone noticed in Australia they sell a Q3200 and Q3600 built-in models?
    No, I hadn't heard of that...pretty cool! And, I agree with Bruce that is very odd to me that a company that started out in Chicago, IL USA doles out the coolest stuff to Europe and Australia and gives us the seconds!
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 CharQ,Q2200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, SJ. 2 many projects!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •