Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grinding out the cook box...

TVWBB Honor Circle Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    I got mine pretty clean before I realized what Bruce was telling me...
    “3 cooks and it will look like you never did anything!” or words to that effect so, I made it clean and concentrated on the outside look more carefully. Since it was my first, now I see places where I should have taken more time and effort.
    Bruce, learning from a patient teacher like you made my refurbish project far less stressful than I had anticipated! Thanks “teach”.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

LOL

Some people rescue dogs and cats. I rescue Webers.

A compromise might be to wire brush the area that shows above the grate level and let the cleaner do what it can for the rest. It is the upper area to me that makes you feel good about a shiny grill and where some leftover dark smudges detract. I would add the insides of the end caps which wire brush pretty easily.
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, JJ & SJ. Projects: Genesis 4, 2 many!

I think I may have stumbled on something that might be an alternative to the Sams Club grill cleaner and other oven cleaners. Today I started a Silver B and I realized the previous owner had repainted the cookbox. The problem is, they repainted the inside as well. So, I decided I was going to have to strip it. I tried some paint thinner with a ball of household stainless steel wool. It wasn't going very good with the carbon and everything else. I didn't want to have to clean out all the carbon before I got to the paint, so I decided to try a 10 year old bottle of CITRISTRIP paint stripper that I had in the garage. It did a good job on the paint, but two other things became apparent. First, it seemed to do a very good job of eating the carbon and grease as well. Second, it even tore into the original weber paint which regular paint thinner doesn't touch. Don't get me wrong, it isn't magic and doesn't just completely strip everything, but it seemed to do as good a job (maybe better) than the Sams Club I was using. Problem is, it is $10 a quart.
    Some people rescue dogs and cats. I rescue Webers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12