Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grinding out the cook box...

Grinding out the cook box...

I've seen some posts about grinding out the cook box on a grill. I would like to do that, but am wondering what tool makes this easiest/gives the best result? Any input is appreciated!

I'm working on my first project, a Silver B. It's going to be a keeper, so I am going to put some time (and money) into it.

Thanks!

You can pick up the el-cheapo angle grinder at Harbor Freight for about $15. It goes on sale occassionally for $10. Then a $4.99 wire cup brush, safety glasses, leather gloves and have at it....Oh, yah, a breathing filter is advisable as well. It will come out all nice and shiny.

That being said, if it a personal grill that you intend on keeping, I think you are making a mistake by grinding out the cook box. At the most, I would simply spray it with some oven/grill cleaner and let it set a while, then go after it with some household steel wool. Clean it up as best you can and move on to more important items. Two or three cooks and you won't be able to tell it was cleaned anyway. It simply isn't worth the work and mess to do the grinder thing.

Also, don't just throw money at it when you have a little discrepancy. People can turn a $100 rehab into a $250 rehab really easily. Not everything has to be replaced with new.

Here is a grill that I did a month ago. It isn't one of my best efforts, but it is more than I would do if I was doing a grill for personal use. Total cost for parts, supplies and the original grill is under $100. I just did the oven/grill cleaner and steel wool on the cook box.

https://lacrosse.craigslist.org/for/...960758378.html
    Some people rescue dogs and cats. I rescue Webers.

TVWBB Fan
    Charles, the most popular method is a cup brush similar to the following on a grinder.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-c...der+wire+brush

You can also use any wire wheel on a drill but it will require a little more effort.
    Gen 3 Performer, 26" Gen 2 Performer, 2001 Genesis Gold C, 18 WSM

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Agree with Bruce I wire brushed one of my daily drivers and by the third cook it was black again. If it's really full of gunk get what you can off like Bruce said and channel your efforts in other areas. Also after I wire brushed the firebox it took a half a day to get all the dust that was everywhere in my garage cleaned up.
    Wife was not happy with the dust I tracked into the house either.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

TVWBB Honor Circle Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Charles, I spent way, way too long wire cup brushing the inside of my Genesis (which was pretty for three cooks) and realize now that it was a lot more time than Bruce’s technique of oven cleaner in a plastic bag(well, that’s for grates) for close to the same end result for a keeper.
    For the outside, again Bruce helped me a lot, get it as clean and surface smooth as possible, clean well, paint with the right paint and when that is acceptable to you spend more time and money on making the burners, flavorizer bars, grates as near perfect as you want. The cooking surfaces are far more critical for me than pretty much any of the rest!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Tim has the right idea. It took me two year of rehabbing these things to learn that.

Thank you all for the great input! Really appreciate it. I'll just be giving it a thorough cleaning and skip the grinding. I had started it with a drill and wire brush, but it it a lot of work. I'll just get it clean and go from there.

Bruce, that grill looks fantastic! I'll spend my time on more important parts of the resto.

Great Charles. Post up some photos as you go along....what we call a "build thread".

TVWBB Wizard
    Damn yall are taking some of the fun out of it, especially on a first restore. There's something to be said about looking at a nice, shiny cook box. :-)
    WSM22Ranch Kettle x 2 , MiniRanch Gen2 Performer , SS Performer , OTG , OTS, Red MBH, JJ, SJS, Summit 650, Genesis Silver C , Genesis Gold C

Yah, I think everyone should do it once.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast