Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2005 Weber Genesis B Restoration-Rust on Frame

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Sure, I wouldn't replace the bottom panel with another same one. It will just rust again. Converting it to something similar to the old Genesis 1000 bottoms would be a good idea to allow any moisture to drain through easily and allow ample air circulation.
    Any idea on the best way of converting the frame bottom so I can still attach the sides and doors of the cart?

I would think that using regular Weber Z buyers and wood slats would work just fine. I'm pretty sure the doors are raised up enough to clear the Z bars

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I would think that using regular Weber Z buyers and wood slats would work just fine. I'm pretty sure the doors are raised up enough to clear the Z bars
    Where can I purchase the Z Bars? Does someone sell them pre-cut? Thanks for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by RobertJohnson View Post
    Where can I purchase the Z Bars? Does someone sell them pre-cut? Thanks for all the help!
    The Weber gas grill parts source sticky thread says:

Z-Bars: 6061 Aluminum Z-Bar for shelves
    https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/124/3775

Not pre-cut.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertJohnson View Post
    The McMaster ones are a good deal and since they are aluminum they cut readily and won't rust. They are not the same dimension as the originals, even after being cut.

If you are willing to pay more, you can step it up to ones made by Dave Santana known as "rcplanebuyer" on eBay. He makes Z-bars almost identical to the original Weber ones, but out of high-grade stainless steel.

You can find Dave on the San Francisco Bay section of Craigslist by searching for something like "Weber grates" or "Weber bars". Look for the ad from Burlingame CA. You can use the link to contact Dave about whatever you need. If you use CL you can save $ over contacting him on eBay where he has to pay them their share. Mention that you heard about him on TVWBB.
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, JJ & SJ. Projects: Genesis 4, 2 many!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Tofte View Post
    If you are willing to pay more, you can step it up to ones made by Dave Santana known as "rcplanebuyer" on eBay. He makes Z-bars almost identical to the original Weber ones, but out of high-grade stainless steel.

You can find Dave on the San Francisco Bay section of Craigslist by searching for something like "Weber grates" or "Weber bars". Look for the ad from Burlingame CA. You can use the link to contact Dave about whatever you need. If you use CL you can save $ over contacting him on eBay where he has to pay them their share. Mention that you heard about him on TVWBB.
    I will add this to the Weber gas grill parts source sticky thread.

Do you know if a detail drawing of the frame is available (i.e. with all exact dimensions)?

TVWBB Pro
    I had a link to the Craigslist listing but it went bad so I removed it. Maybe the one I used expired and he had to make a new one. But if you do the search mentioned above you will find him.

I know that most people don't recommend replacing the bottom panel, but I did for my personal grill. I purchased the panel for the Silver B for around $90 including shipping. I figure that the original one lasted since 2005, so I should be able to get another 12-14 years out of the new one. Everything else is in good shape, so I'm sure that the grill will last that long.

I like the looks of the open cart, but also like having somewhere to store the brushes and smoker boxes when not in use.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtisK View Post
    I know that most people don't recommend replacing the bottom panel, but I did for my personal grill. I purchased the panel for the Silver B for around $90 including shipping. I figure that the original one lasted since 2005, so I should be able to get another 12-14 years out of the new one. Everything else is in good shape, so I'm sure that the grill will last that long.

I like the looks of the open cart, but also like having somewhere to store the brushes and smoker boxes when not in use.
    I think what is important is that you take care to keep that bottom panel clean and dry. I would suggest waxing it well on both sides with auto wax. Moisture and scratches does them in. You might want to do something in addition to protect the metal from the brushes and smoker boxes.

Some bottom trays only last a few years, but I agree with good care you can do a lot better than that. Of course, being able to store your grill in a garage or shed (vs. leaving it outside in Florida like I have to do) would also be a big help!.
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, JJ & SJ. Projects: Genesis 4, 2 many!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234