2005 Weber Genesis B Restoration-Rust on Frame

RobertJohnson

Pulled the trigger on a 2005 Weber Genesis Silver B. The grill is in okay shape, needs a good cleaning and there is some mild rust on the frame. The photos below show the rust (sorry I’m new and not sure how to embed lol).

For those that have restored your Weber, what was the best way to get rid of the rust? Do I need to completely disassemble or is spot repair & paint possible?

I intend to have this grill for sometime so I want to fix it right. Thanks for any help.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/UGwq64x

Last edited:
If it is just surface rust, then grind it off with sand paper or an angle grinder with a wire cup brush. Then prime and paint it. Just make sure that you use High Heat paint and primer if it is on an area of the frame that is adjacent to the cook box.

If it is just surface rust, then grind it off with sand paper or an angle grinder with a wire cup brush. Then prime and paint it. Just make sure that you use High Heat paint and primer if it is on an area of the frame that is adjacent to the cook box.

Is there a good definition of what’s just surface rust? I know what extreme rust/corrosion looks like. I just want to be sure I am restoring this correctly.

If you don't see the metal corroding, it's safe to say it's surface rust. My .02 would be, if you hit it with a sandpaper brick a few times and can see metal, it's just surface rust.

Yep, as long as the integrity of the underlying metal is still intact, you will be fine. But if you can push a screw driver through the rust and underlying metal, you have a problem.

Is there a good definition of what’s just surface rust? I know what extreme rust/corrosion looks like. I just want to be sure I am restoring this correctly.

The tubing is 18 gauge steel I believe, so 0.048" thick. There's a fine line between surface rust and rust penetration on metal of this thickness, you'll see as soon as you start scraping/sanding.

The bottoms of the frame connectors on my Genesis Silver B were rusted through and I spent some time sanding and painting them even with the rusted out holes.

The number one thing I've learned from my very short career in Weber grill restoration is don't put much time and money into restoring the frame of a common grill like the Silver B. Save a search on Craig's List and a better frame will show up pretty soon.

Last edited:
Look for one of these frames:

While the grill overall looks pretty rough, the frame is Stainless steel and there won't be any rust and no need to worry about painting either.

Here is a grill with a stainless frame that I did a couple months ago.

cr8ANx4.jpg

Look for one of these frames:

While the grill overall looks pretty rough, the frame is Stainless steel and there won't be any rust and no need to worry about painting either.

Here is a grill with a stainless frame that I did a couple months ago.

cr8ANx4.jpg

I am dreaming of old Webers with stainless steel frames. Can't wait to get my hands on one.

The finished grill on the right there is my dream grill. So much better without the silly cabinet doors. If I ever find one I'll buy some stainless steel Z brackets and vacuum impregnate wood for the shelves.

Last edited:
The tubing is 18 gauge steel I believe, so 0.048" thick. There's a fine line between surface rust and rust penetration on metal of this thickness, you'll see as soon as you start scraping/sanding.

The bottoms of the frame connectors on my Genesis Silver B were rusted through and I spent some time sanding and painting them even with the rusted out holes.

The number one thing I've learned from my very short career in Weber grill restoration is don't put much time and money into restoring the frame of a common grill like the Silver B. Save a search on Craig's List and a better frame will show up pretty soon.

Thanks for the advice. The worst rust is at the bottom of the frame where the 2 doors come together otherwise I think the frame is in decent shape (at least I hope lol). It took me awhile to find this grill in my area without having to drive 1.5 hours plus, so I want to make it count.

Thanks for the advice. The worst rust is at the bottom of the frame where the 2 doors come together otherwise I think the frame is in decent shape (at least I hope lol). It took me awhile to find this grill in my area without having to drive 1.5 hours plus, so I want to make it count.

I understand. I'm looking at another free 1000 Redhead at this moment trying to decide whether to go pick it up. If I do that will make two Genesis Silver Bs, one Spirit, one 2000 Redhead and one 1000 Redhead.

I'm telling myself I can just sort the parts and hang onto the best ones. :)

NO you can't. You will have to kick the mower out into the yard and store all those parts in the garage....JUST IN CASE.

I understand. I'm looking at another free 1000 Redhead at this moment trying to decide whether to go pick it up. If I do that will make two Genesis Silver Bs, one Spirit, one 2000 Redhead and one 1000 Redhead.

I'm telling myself I can just sort the parts and hang onto the best ones. :)
I wonder if it's the one I emailed about last night, but haven't heard back yet. I'd like to get a large cook box in better shape than mine, the red lid is pretty sweet too

I wonder if it's the one I emailed about last night, but haven't heard back yet. I'd like to get a large cook box in better shape than mine, the red lid is pretty sweet too

I was going to get it last night but something came up and I couldn't. The # 2 person in the queue got it this morning I think.

Meanwhile, there's a unicorn in Hartford. Just too far away for me to make the drive and come back empty handed.

https://hartford.craigslist.org/zip/d/east-glastonbury-free-couches-riding/6978471771.html

Not really a unicorn, but it is a really nice early generation Genesis 2000. On deals like that, I contact the person and let them know you are coming from a long ways away and tell them when you can be there and ask them to pull it off the curb until you get there.

Not really a unicorn, but it is a really nice early generation Genesis 2000. On deals like that, I contact the person and let them know you are coming from a long ways away and tell them when you can be there and ask them to pull it off the curb until you get there.

That's exactly what I did. The Weber bug has bitten me hard. I tried to resist this grill but couldn't. I offered the owner some cash to hold it for me and I just got back with the grill in pieces in the back of my SUV. Including gas, tolls and the bribe it cost me about $80.00 total.

The serial # is L3-75755 which makes it a Genesis 2 from 1991 or earlier, I think. Almost 30 years old which is extraordinary as the frame is in much better shape than the frame on the Genesis 2000 I picked up a couple of weeks ago. The wood slats have been painted on top but otherwise are also in much better shape than the slats on the Genesis 2000. The grill also came apart fairly easily - even the firebox bolt came out!!!

Between the two grills I now have the parts to restore a really nice Genesis 2/2000. The only grill I would add to my growing pile now would be a Genesis with a stainless steel frame.

0CTOIYT.jpg

Last edited:
Well finally got everything disassembled today and there ended up being a little more rust than was visible once I took the sides off the cart. I am kind of upset at myself since I paid 150 bucks thinking it was in better shape.

One thing I also noticed was there appears to be some rust inside the square steel that makes the frame. Is this off any concern? Is there a remedy to it?

Back