'99 Red One Touch Gold Kettle Restore

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
In spite of Hurrican Dorian, which has slowed my gas grill work to a trickle, I was able to finally finish a little restore of a '99 red One-Touch Gold. It was all there when I got it but needed a lot of the old parts replaced. I paid $60 which was too much, but oh well...

Here is what it looked like when I picked it up:

jCYzp4k.jpg

Here are a couple other BEFORE pictures after I got it home:

3uoMceJ.jpg

tU0vWMR.jpg

I did this grill restore for the youth and music pastor of my church, so I went overboard and of course made no money:rolleyes:! But, it was fun and I learned a little more about older kettles. One big problem was trying to restore and re-use the metal bracket that attaches to the one touch sweep and holds the round ash pan holder in place. The replacement ash sweeps you buy now are made for the newer type holder that doesn't have the bracket but instead attaches to the grill legs with metal prongs. It was a challenge, but I made it work.

Here is the finished product before our pastor picked it up. I did some patches where the porcelain was chipped off. I tried to carefully tape so that the high heat dark red caliper paint would only be on the raw metal and NOT on any of the porcelain. I know many kettle collectors prefer that it be left alone, but I wanted it to look nicer. You can obviously tell where the repairs were made, but in an overall look I think it is better this way:

G1zhzET.jpg

aqlngGb.jpg

I put to good use one of the grates I picked up at last fall's Target discount sell-off:

OSnFmjM.jpg

Last edited:
Nice finished kettle Jon, looks like new! Gotta try your chip repair method too. Hope no damage your way by Dorian either.

Very nice Jon!
Actually it's a Master Touch, not a OTG.
I picked up a 1999 model 5 years ago and luckily it didn't need anything.

1461215_10202695283485033_151209078157146481_n.jpg

Very nice Jon!
Actually it's a Master Touch, not a OTG.
I picked up a 1999 model 5 years ago and luckily it didn't need anything.

1461215_10202695283485033_151209078157146481_n.jpg

Bob,
That one looks sweet! Thanks for the clarification. Maybe the Gold name came later? I had originally considered keeping this one and selling off a classic MBH red I have, but I will just keep that and continue to use it. I love the old fashion metal handles and three bottom vents, but the one touch with the pan is certainly a lot more convenient. And wood handles are less scary than hot metal ones:eek:!

Thanks, and you're welcome, Jon.
The MT has a thermometer and a lid bail, the OTG doesn't. A new, black, MT is currently $219 on Amazon. The LE red grills from a year or two back were MT style, but made in China. No clues where the new MT is made.
Some folks like the old daisy wheel bottom vents for temp control, but I like the sweeps for easy ash removal.

Back