Praise for WSM

jkruger

I've been a pretty die hard Weber fan for more years than I care to admit. Have tried some nice offset cookers, top of the line gas, etc., but overall nothing ever comes close to Performer's, Plain Kettles, and WSM's. My wife has a Weber gas grill for quick cooks and heating some things up.

Lately I had thoughts of getting a pellet pooper for convenience. It sounds good, set it and forget it. Yesterday I did a few racks of beef long ribs. Got the coals started while I removed the membrane and rubbed the ribs. Put them on the WSM while it was coming up to temp. Kept an eye on the temp and adjusted the vents once when it got close. I checked the temp several more times, but I knew I really didn't have to. Maybe I'm nuts, but I enjoy a certain amount of tending to things. 6 hours later when the ribs came off the WSM was almost precisely at the same temperature. It's sure hard to argue with a system that just works.

That pretty much convinced me that I don't really need a pellet pooper, though I'm anxious to see one of Weber's when they are out. I like being able to use a mixture of smoking woods, like apple and hickory, and deciding on what I think the best ratio is. I haven't gone to any type of add on temperature control on any of my Weber's, because they are so easy to dial in and adjust that I haven't felt the need to add any complexity or help. They're really cool, I just don't feel the need for one.

I respect Weber's business decision to add new products, done their way. I also respect that they've stuck with successful platforms and kept the quality high. I can't ever imagine being without a WSM. Once they are seasoned and broken in, and you pay attention to how they behave in different weather conditions, different firing and cooking methods and such they are just so consistent. A lot of that is probably due to a simple design and quality construction that just works. Add in forums like this and more Youtube video's than you can shake a stick at, and for me, it's a tough platform to beat.

I have to agree on a lot of what you said. The 18.5 WSM is my first smoker and I’ve only had it about 2 months. I’ve never had a bad cook except when I got a bad cut of meat.

And I also like to mix my wood for different results. The brisket I did yesterday was done with 1 apple, 2 pecan, and 2 hickory. But I guess I also just like the aesthetics of hardwoods; I got some nice apple from a guy last week which cut into really nice fist sized chunks; so much better than that bagged crap you get at the BBQ store. I can’t wait to use it on some ribs next week!

I have to agree on a lot of what you said. The 18.5 WSM is my first smoker and I’ve only had it about 2 months. I’ve never had a bad cook except when I got a bad cut of meat.

And I also like to mix my wood for different results. The brisket I did yesterday was done with 1 apple, 2 pecan, and 2 hickory. But I guess I also just like the aesthetics of hardwoods; I got some nice apple from a guy last week which cut into really nice fist sized chunks; so much better than that bagged crap you get at the BBQ store. I can’t wait to use it on some ribs next week!

I agree completely about using non bagged wood when you can. We are fortunate to live in the fruit producing region of Washington and have relatives with orchards. Plenty of apple and cherry especially, and my parents have prune trees, and that gives an entirely different smoke flavor.

I have to agree. I don't believe I will ever buy a pellet pooper,even if Weber comes out with one.

I just love the smell of charcoal when it's getting started and cooking. In my opinion for just back yard BBQ. A WSM and a kettle you pretty much have it covered. I do also have a small Weber propane but I just use it for warming stuff up.

I’m a Weber addict!
For me it will always be charcoal first! I have “refreshed” an older Genesis 1000 which gets used more as an oven when it’s simply too hot to want to do anything in the house. A pellet grill, meh. It’s not because I like the excuse to not be able to do something else(usually a job I don’t want to do anyway) it’s just an escape from kitchen stress.
I grill 5-7 times a week in peak season, I wouldn’t have it any other way! Grilling in the dead of winter is one of my favorite things actually, I get the most baffled looks from neighbors, it’s great!

As I was scanning my local Craigslist I found a used Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie for sale. The auger isn't working, and he wants $100 or offer. I'm at least going to look at it. Parts are available from GMG. For that price, if it's in good shape otherwise it might be hard to say no to.

ON EDIT: Already talked myself out of it. I don't need a pellet pooper. I feel like there is a little more art to using charcoal and going a bit more old school. We're often somewhat forced to modernize some thing, not willing to give up my old school grilling and smoking.

Last edited:
Im settled with the weber products, atleast as long as they still make quality products ...grills- smokers are best for the money imo and ive had a grill addiction in the past and spent thou$and$ of dollars on various brands....I showed my girlfriend how to run the WSM using my methods and she knows nothing about smoking or temp control, she smoked a rack of ribs completely on her own with success only after one try.

I'm all in on Weber, and charcoal specifically. My next purchase come h - e - double toothpicks or high water is going to be a WSW, at least 18", 22" if I can swing it. I have had the tough conversations with my DLSW, and she is convinced of the need for it.

I absolutely love my Performer, but there is still room for love of a WSM as well.

EDIT: Fixed my WSW spelling error. :)

Last edited:
I think you mean “WSM”?

In radio parlance “We Serve Millions” home of the Grand Old Opry.

In Bluegrass parlance “William Smith Monroe” the Father of Bluegrass Music! Who’s birthday is today in 1911!

In Smoker parlance, the most valuable piece of equipment I own for smoking!

I think you mean “WSM”?

In radio parlance “We Serve Millions” home of the Grand Old Opry.

In Bluegrass parlance “William Smith Monroe” the Father of Bluegrass Music! Who’s birthday is today in 1911!

In Smoker parlance, the most valuable piece of equipment I own for smoking!

Caught! Yessir, I meant WSM. Although I do like The Opry and bluegrass. I must have been channeling Mr. Monroe at the time haha.

Watching the Ken Burns show right now, I need some barbecue! Sadly, I didn’t make any over the weekend and was not thinking about it until right now!
Correction, “We Shield Millions” not serve, my mental hiccup!

I’m withholding judgement for the time being, he’s only mentioned the Monroe Brothers in passing so, we shall see...

I still need to grill or smoke something!

Back