Recoating Porcelain Enamel Side Burner Grates

Rob Jenkins

TVWBB Member
My Vieluxe grill has porcelain enameled cast iron grates on the side burners. The coating wore through in a few places and there is some surface rust on the cast iron. I could treat these with oil like a cast iron skillet but I'd like to get them back to their factory fresh appearance.
I'd imagine they need to be sand blasted prior to coating. i understand that the glass is baked on at high temperatures so this is not a DIY project.
Is there a source that can recoat these?

Last edited:
Have you tried to find a replacement part which might be cheaper than having your existing one redone.

That would seem to me to be a really expensive project. I doubt you will be able to find replacements or certainly not a "donor" grill. I don't recall the exact design, but would it be possible to have thick stainless rod grates made by someone like Dave Santana (rcplanebuyer) that could substitute - actually maybe even improve?

Yeah when I wish talking about recording I was talking about the Burner trivett. I certainly wouldn't try to re coat cast iron grates. Your best bet would be buying stainless rod grates as John suggested. For your trivet you might do some investigating and try to find another Weber grill that uses the exact same trivett.

If you take a photo and make a sketch with measurements I bet Dave Santana (RCPlancebuyer) could make you one

I wish replacement parts were still available. It's a little unbelievable that Weber would sell an $8,000 grill backed by a lifetime warranty and then stop supporting it altogether.
The stainless bars are a possibility but the cast iron looks great and i would like to keep this classic grill looking original.

I wish replacement parts were still available. It's a little unbelievable that Weber would sell an $8,000 grill backed by a lifetime warranty and then stop supporting it altogether.
The stainless bars are a possibility but the cast iron looks great and i would like to keep this classic grill looking original.

Well, Larry could give you quite an earful about Weber's warranties on these old grills. Lifetime, unfortunately, was notional. I guess by marketing under a different name they could use the excuse that it was out of business - though not really.

Having a bad case of collectoritous myself, I do appreciate the very special nature of your Vieluxe and why you would want to keep the stock look. I guess it depends on your budget for its restoration, because virtually everything you replace will require custom fabrication. I think I would just scrape off the rust and do a really good job of seasoning those grates in your oven, repeating the cycle several times. You will undoubtedly have to redo from time to time, but it would still be original as you are wanting it to be. If kept out of wet conditions, well seasoned cast iron that is re-oiled after each use will hold up for a good while. You could even store those grates in a box inside if need be. I do that for my hard to replace CharQ grates.

You might be able to try John at JBallantyne (at) customceramic (dot) com. I've not done any work with him, but thought I might do a lid in a cool color sometime. I've emailed him and he responds quickly. He does a lot of resto work on old appliances.

You might be able to try John at JBallantyne (at) customceramic (dot) com. I've not done any work with him, but thought I might do a lid in a cool color sometime. I've emailed him and he responds quickly. He does a lot of resto work on old appliances.

Thanks. I'd found them through searches and have left a voicemail and emailed John. I've yet to hear back as I only tried him around lunchtime.

I got a quote from another company but they only do gloss black porcelain enamel. I don't think that would look right on mine and wanted matte black.

This is what my grates look like currently:

I definitely think you can remove the rust and season to enjoy years of further use. Like everything on that grill, they are built like a tank.

Rob, you're on the right track. Anyone that's doing vintage stove restoration will have a source for redoing porcelain enameled stove parts. They should be able to do it for you, although I don't know if you'll find matte black.

Good luck! If you find a good resource, let us know.

If I can't do the matte black, I'll probably season them as Jon suggests and see how that looks. I'm afraid the gloss would look odd there.

I went ahead and scrubbed the rust off after a vinegar bath and seasoned them three times in the oven with grape seed oil. They look a lot better and I may just live with them.

I finally heard back from John Ballantyne from Custom Ceramic Coatings. Seems like a nice guy. He said he can't do matte because the additive for that would weaken the coating to the point it would be too brittle but he can do satin. He's going to send a few example photos and we'll go from there. It may be that's what I have on there already.

Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate the help.

48727506853_2d7fe2fe61_o.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I have to say, if it were me (and granted, it's not), I would run with what you have. I think they look great in pictures. Looks like maybe some minor residual spots, but otherwise looks good.

Yeah - I tend to be more than a little OCD about these things. Once I get an estimate on the re-coating I can make a decision on whether I can ignore the imperfections or not.

Rob,
More cocktails, they will look just fine!
They look pretty good to me and I’m on my forts martini.

First! I just can’t type!

Yeah - I tend to be more than a little OCD about these things. Once I get an estimate on the re-coating I can make a decision on whether I can ignore the imperfections or not.

That grill really found the right home. I can't wait to see more pictures of that very special grill.

Hi Rob, I recently purchased a 54 Vieluxe. My side burners could use a little love. If you could, what was the process you used to clean/season?

QUOTE=Rob Jenkins;866400]I went ahead and scrubbed the rust off after a vinegar bath and seasoned them three times in the oven with grape seed oil. They look a lot better and I may just live with them.

I finally heard back from John Ballantyne from Custom Ceramic Coatings. Seems like a nice guy. He said he can't do matte because the additive for that would weaken the coating to the point it would be too brittle but he can do satin. He's going to send a few example photos and we'll go from there. It may be that's what I have on there already.

Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate the help.

48727506853_2d7fe2fe61_o.jpg
[/url][/IMG][/QUOTE]

Back