Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recoating Porcelain Enamel Side Burner Grates

Rob, you're on the right track. Anyone that's doing vintage stove restoration will have a source for redoing porcelain enameled stove parts. They should be able to do it for you, although I don't know if you'll find matte black.

Good luck! If you find a good resource, let us know.

If I can't do the matte black, I'll probably season them as Jon suggests and see how that looks. I'm afraid the gloss would look odd there.

I went ahead and scrubbed the rust off after a vinegar bath and seasoned them three times in the oven with grape seed oil. They look a lot better and I may just live with them.

I finally heard back from John Ballantyne from Custom Ceramic Coatings. Seems like a nice guy. He said he can't do matte because the additive for that would weaken the coating to the point it would be too brittle but he can do satin. He's going to send a few example photos and we'll go from there. It may be that's what I have on there already.

Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate the help.

[IMG][/IMG]

I have to say, if it were me (and granted, it's not), I would run with what you have. I think they look great in pictures. Looks like maybe some minor residual spots, but otherwise looks good.
    (AH)-Black, ThermaPen Classic-Red, Weber 6707 Deluxe Tool Set, Weber 6645 Travel Tool Set, Weber 6469 Premium Grilling Rack

Yeah - I tend to be more than a little OCD about these things. Once I get an estimate on the re-coating I can make a decision on whether I can ignore the imperfections or not.

TVWBB Honor Circle Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Rob,
    More cocktails, they will look just fine!
    They look pretty good to me and Iím on my forts martini.

First! I just canít type!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Jenkins View Post
    Yeah - I tend to be more than a little OCD about these things. Once I get an estimate on the re-coating I can make a decision on whether I can ignore the imperfections or not.
    That grill really found the right home. I can't wait to see more pictures of that very special grill.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12