Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Frustrated

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilHeuer View Post
    I tried reflashing and had issues but finally got it flashed. Booted and got the rainbow screen and nothing beyond just locked up at it.

I found another card and flashed again - and then same problem.

Tried with the heatermeter sleeve on and off no difference.

Not sure whats going

Neil
    I'll order another Raspberry Pi. I had a Raspberry pi 3b+ but that doesn't seem to work with Heatermeter 4.2 hardware....

Suggestions? Looks like my current Raspberry Pi is a v1?!

TVWBB Honor Circle Bryan Mayland's Avatar
    If you're seeing the rainbow screen, good odds that you downloaded the wrong file. If you're using a v4.2, that's usually an original Pi B or Pi Zero. A firmware built for a Pi 3B+ won't work on it and you'll just get the rainbow screen. Make sure you select from the download page:

Version: Latest development snapshot
    Target board: Raspberry Pi A / B / Zero / Zero W / A+ / B+

By default the download page selects the newer hardware.
    I'm that HeaterMeter guy what ruins everybody's free time.

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Mayland View Post
    If you're seeing the rainbow screen, good odds that you downloaded the wrong file. If you're using a v4.2, that's usually an original Pi B or Pi Zero. A firmware built for a Pi 3B+ won't work on it and you'll just get the rainbow screen. Make sure you select from the download page:

Version: Latest development snapshot
    Target board: Raspberry Pi A / B / Zero / Zero W / A+ / B+

By default the download page selects the newer hardware.
    Yeah I selected 4.2

heatermeter-bcm2709-stable_14-XXXXXX (1)

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Yeah I screwed up

TVWBB Fan
    Here is the output on the screen. Not sure what to make of it?

TVWBB Fan
    I am assuming the Wifi adapter is done. When I plug it in while on the screen goes blank and the raspberry pi reboots. I ordered a replacement. This unit sits outside in a drawer when not in use and I did see some rust under the magnifying glass....

Neil

It usually says "Link becomes ready" when the wifi is up and running in whatever configuration you selected, but since I don't see a message saying it associated (connected). The downloaded image should be named heatermeter-bcm2708-snapshot-XXXX.img where XXXX is your wifi network name, or heatermeter-bcm2708-snapshot.img for the generic version that creates an access point for you to connect to. I just remembered that the Edimax dongles don't support AP mode properly so you have to use the first one to set it up, or plug in an Ethernet cable (but not both). If you plug in a USB keyboard and hit ENTER, it will give you a console where you can type "ip route" and the IP address of the HeaterMeter will be on the top right of the output.
    Code:
    root@LEDE:~# ip route
    default via 192.168.2.1 dev wlan0  src 192.168.2.86
    192.168.2.0/24 dev wlan0 scope link  src 192.168.2.86
    192.168.2.1 dev wlan0 scope link  src 192.168.2.86
    192.168.200.0/24 dev eth0 scope link  src 192.168.200.1
    This test HeaterMeter's IP is 192.168.2.86. If it is 192.168.200.1 in the top right, that means it failed to associate and authenticate to wifi so only the Ethernet port is active.

You can't hotplug one of these wifi adapters in while the system is up and running. The driver for them is just that bad. The kernel log messages there don't seem to indicate that it isn't working, but I wouldn't rule it out. There definitely should be association messages I believe. If you want to PM me your wifi network name and current wifi password I could try to set up an identical network here and see if there's a bug in the configuration process that causes it to not work properly.

TVWBB Fan
    I ordered a new wifi adapter. Is there a "better" or suggested one? I will order that. I think I ordered a TP Link this time around... should be here tomorrow.

I don't suspect the config is wrong - Im sure its not the problem. The device isn't loading. I did plug in a keyboard and saw the 192.168.200.1.

Thanks for the assistance.

Neil

I haven't really looked into them in a while, since the Pi started integrating their own wifi which works acceptably. The Edimax was the best at first, since it actually worked most of the time. The RT5370-based ones are better, but they're harder to find since cheap wifi dongles don't usually list their chipset and they can change without notice.

An option might also be to get a "Pi Zero W" that go for about $10 without headers or $14 with (although some will need to be clipped off to fit with a HeaterMeter 4.2). It would replace the whole Pi and the Wifi adapter, although there would be empty holes in your HeaterMeter case where the Pi's connectors used to come through.

TVWBB Pro
    I second Bryan's suggestion for the "Pi Zero W". I have never had an issue with them, and I've built quite a few. Their WiFi is rock solid.

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by WBegg View Post
    I second Bryan's suggestion for the "Pi Zero W". I have never had an issue with them, and I've built quite a few. Their WiFi is rock solid.
    I don't know if the zero would work from outside in my block home is that a big antenna and would it work with my 3d printed case?

I got the TP link adapter.

It has found the adapter but I am still getting the src 192.168.200.1

so not sure whats going on. I will try redoing the config but where is the settings for wireless? I can look in the file?

Neil

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast