Frustrated

NeilHeuer

TVWBB Fan
So I don't get it. I use my heatermeter. Unplug it put it away and fire it back up for the next cook and it just won't connect to the wifi. Its garbage now. I mean I have to take it apart to connect it to an HDMI port and try to figure out what is going on.

I brought it inside the house to see if it had trouble connecting outside. No better. Anyway just complaining because I am frustrated and I didn't want to cook overnight without some electronic eyes on it...

I've complained in the past that the IP address should be visible on the display. I don't think I am out of version too far but still it would be a nice feature...

Neil

Now that I run with a Raspi Zero W, I have zero wireless issues. That onboard wifi is rock solid and Just Works™

So I don't get it. I use my heatermeter. Unplug it put it away and fire it back up for the next cook and it just won't connect to the wifi. Its garbage now. I mean I have to take it apart to connect it to an HDMI port and try to figure out what is going on.

I brought it inside the house to see if it had trouble connecting outside. No better. Anyway just complaining because I am frustrated and I didn't want to cook overnight without some electronic eyes on it...

I've complained in the past that the IP address should be visible on the display. I don't think I am out of version too far but still it would be a nice feature...

Neil

The IP address does get displayed on the LCD screen.

I'd make sure you're on the latest snapshot firmware as a #1 thing to try, and you didn't give us any other information so there's not much else to suggest beyond that. It's frustrating I'm sure, but it shouldn't behave like that and if it did I don't think any of us would be using a HeaterMeter so there's a glimmer of hope that it it is an issue that can be resolved.

I'd make sure you're on the latest snapshot firmware as a #1 thing to try, and you didn't give us any other information so there's not much else to suggest beyond that. It's frustrating I'm sure, but it shouldn't behave like that and if it did I don't think any of us would be using a HeaterMeter so there's a glimmer of hope that it it is an issue that can be resolved.

Yeah I didn't think it could be so unreliable for everyone - I don't know. Maybe my USB dongle thingie bit the dust. I don't know

Im running 4.2 hardware with the thermocoupler.

I wasn't sure what else to include in my argument. I thought I have seen the IP address on the display but I don't - ever. I have seen it go by but there isn't a menu option to show it. I did ipscans to see if we had picked up a DHCP address for some reason. The device - stand alone works. Just no network access.

Thanks!

Is the last release from 2017? I definitely have that on there. I will connect it to an HDMI display tomorrow and see whats going on....

Run the latest SNAPSHOT release, date May 20 2019 14:47:19 PDT as of right now. Try the Automatic WiFi Client mode build, if that fails to connect try the Access Point build, you should be able to see the HM access point with a smartphone and connect directly, that will give you some idea if the HM software and wifi device is working.
What rPi version are you running?

Last edited:
Run the latest SNAPSHOT release, date May 20 2019 14:47:19 PDT as of right now. Try the Automatic WiFi Client mode build, if that fails to connect try the Access Point build, you should be able to see the HM access point with a smartphone and connect directly, that will give you some idea if the HM software and wifi device is working.
What rPi version are you running?

So I opened the case and plugged it in to a display and I get absolutely nothing. The heater meter show no pit probe on its LCD screen. I don't have any display output from the HDMI port. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Neil

If you're running the 2017 release then upgrade to the snapshot. The v14 release is known to have bad client mode wifi with rtl8192cu dongles (edimax, etc).

As far as the HDMI, make sure you're plugged into the monitor before you power up. Apart from that, watch the Pi's LEDs for its boot status. Random flickers as it reads the kernel, fast regular flashing, then slow regular flashing, and finally a solid status (either on or off) once fully booted. The monitor should come on somewhere between the random flickers and fast regular.

But all of that's not necessary because you probably just need to upgrade your firmware to resolve this.

If you're running the 2017 release then upgrade to the snapshot. The v14 release is known to have bad client mode wifi with rtl8192cu dongles (edimax, etc).

As far as the HDMI, make sure you're plugged into the monitor before you power up. Apart from that, watch the Pi's LEDs for its boot status. Random flickers as it reads the kernel, fast regular flashing, then slow regular flashing, and finally a solid status (either on or off) once fully booted. The monitor should come on somewhere between the random flickers and fast regular.

But all of that's not necessary because you probably just need to upgrade your firmware to resolve this.

I tried reflashing and had issues but finally got it flashed. Booted and got the rainbow screen and nothing beyond just locked up at it.

I found another card and flashed again - and then same problem.

Tried with the heatermeter sleeve on and off no difference.

Not sure whats going :(

Neil

I tried reflashing and had issues but finally got it flashed. Booted and got the rainbow screen and nothing beyond just locked up at it.

I found another card and flashed again - and then same problem.

Tried with the heatermeter sleeve on and off no difference.

Not sure whats going :(

Neil

I'll order another Raspberry Pi. I had a Raspberry pi 3b+ but that doesn't seem to work with Heatermeter 4.2 hardware....

Suggestions? Looks like my current Raspberry Pi is a v1?!

If you're seeing the rainbow screen, good odds that you downloaded the wrong file. If you're using a v4.2, that's usually an original Pi B or Pi Zero. A firmware built for a Pi 3B+ won't work on it and you'll just get the rainbow screen. Make sure you select from the download page:

Version: Latest development snapshot
Target board: Raspberry Pi A / B / Zero / Zero W / A+ / B+

By default the download page selects the newer hardware.

If you're seeing the rainbow screen, good odds that you downloaded the wrong file. If you're using a v4.2, that's usually an original Pi B or Pi Zero. A firmware built for a Pi 3B+ won't work on it and you'll just get the rainbow screen. Make sure you select from the download page:

Version: Latest development snapshot
Target board: Raspberry Pi A / B / Zero / Zero W / A+ / B+

By default the download page selects the newer hardware.

Yeah I selected 4.2

heatermeter-bcm2709-stable_14-XXXXXX (1)

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I screwed up :)

Here is the output on the screen. Not sure what to make of it?
IMG_2996-e1568065232358.jpg

I am assuming the Wifi adapter is done. When I plug it in while on the screen goes blank and the raspberry pi reboots. I ordered a replacement. This unit sits outside in a drawer when not in use and I did see some rust under the magnifying glass....

Neil

It usually says "Link becomes ready" when the wifi is up and running in whatever configuration you selected, but since I don't see a message saying it associated (connected). The downloaded image should be named heatermeter-bcm2708-snapshot-XXXX.img where XXXX is your wifi network name, or heatermeter-bcm2708-snapshot.img for the generic version that creates an access point for you to connect to. I just remembered that the Edimax dongles don't support AP mode properly so you have to use the first one to set it up, or plug in an Ethernet cable (but not both). If you plug in a USB keyboard and hit ENTER, it will give you a console where you can type "ip route" and the IP address of the HeaterMeter will be on the top right of the output.
Code:
root@LEDE:~# ip route
default via 192.168.2.1 dev wlan0  src 192.168.2.86
192.168.2.0/24 dev wlan0 scope link  src 192.168.2.86
192.168.2.1 dev wlan0 scope link  src 192.168.2.86
192.168.200.0/24 dev eth0 scope link  src 192.168.200.1
This test HeaterMeter's IP is 192.168.2.86. If it is 192.168.200.1 in the top right, that means it failed to associate and authenticate to wifi so only the Ethernet port is active.

You can't hotplug one of these wifi adapters in while the system is up and running. The driver for them is just that bad. The kernel log messages there don't seem to indicate that it isn't working, but I wouldn't rule it out. There definitely should be association messages I believe. If you want to PM me your wifi network name and current wifi password I could try to set up an identical network here and see if there's a bug in the configuration process that causes it to not work properly.

I ordered a new wifi adapter. Is there a "better" or suggested one? I will order that. I think I ordered a TP Link this time around... should be here tomorrow.

I don't suspect the config is wrong - Im sure its not the problem. The device isn't loading. I did plug in a keyboard and saw the 192.168.200.1.

Thanks for the assistance.

Neil

I haven't really looked into them in a while, since the Pi started integrating their own wifi which works acceptably. The Edimax was the best at first, since it actually worked most of the time. The RT5370-based ones are better, but they're harder to find since cheap wifi dongles don't usually list their chipset and they can change without notice.

An option might also be to get a "Pi Zero W" that go for about $10 without headers or $14 with (although some will need to be clipped off to fit with a HeaterMeter 4.2). It would replace the whole Pi and the Wifi adapter, although there would be empty holes in your HeaterMeter case where the Pi's connectors used to come through.

I second Bryan's suggestion for the "Pi Zero W". I have never had an issue with them, and I've built quite a few. Their WiFi is rock solid.

I second Bryan's suggestion for the "Pi Zero W". I have never had an issue with them, and I've built quite a few. Their WiFi is rock solid.

I don't know if the zero would work from outside in my block home is that a big antenna and would it work with my 3d printed case?

I got the TP link adapter.

It has found the adapter but I am still getting the src 192.168.200.1

so not sure whats going on. I will try redoing the config but where is the settings for wireless? I can look in the file?

Neil

Back