Jacques Pepin makes me feel...

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Incompetent! I decided that, after years of watching him de bone a whole chicken in under a minute, I would go ahead and try swimming in that end (very deep) of the pool. It probably took me the best part of 45 minutes. I think I just need a LOT of practice! Making the stuffing was a snap, the actual stuffing was not too tough but, my trussing needs more practice as well.
End result wasn’t as pretty as his but, WOW! It was delightful! With practice I think it would be a real show stopper! I went basic indirect (22.5 kettle) and could have done three if carefully placed. The presentation is so pretty! Beautiful stuffed slices of boneless chicken in almost “loaf fashion” sorry about no pictures but, after the challenge of my first deboning project, I was happy that the flavor was as good as it was, and...it’s GONE!
Thanks Jacques for once again showing me technical excellence!
YouTube galentine recipe. I’m thinking by Thanksgiving I will try a turkey this way! If I get enough practice.

Watching great knife skills is almost watching magic in action. This sounds almost like poultry in motion.....

That was just about what I’d expected from my wife! She just shook her head when I walked in the room and said it had been the most tense time I had spent cooking in forty years! I just need practice!

HE definitely is a master of the art. I can debone one pretty quick but not a minute. One thing that helps him is he has an army of professionals behind him who keep his knives razor sharp. I have tried so hard and I can get nowhere near the sharpness and ease of use I see the TV folks get. I.E. they take and onion and the knife slides right through. Not mine, they can butterfly a roast with no hesitation of their blades. Not mine. I can go on but I'm sure you get the picture

A sharp knife is a safe knife.... mine are some of the most dangerous on the planet. I deboned a whole chicken once and it looked like a scene from a chainsaw horror movie. Tried every known sharping tool out there with little to no success. So I've become an avid fan of bone in chicken.

So I've become an avid fan of bone in chicken.

LOL! I am a horrible knife sharpener on my own, so I broke down earlier this year and now I use the Chef's Choice 130 and/or 15 Trizor; I have been extremely well-pleased with their performance.

I used to use a couple of different Chef's Choice sharpeners. They did okay, but one in particular would not sharpen all the way to the bolster.

I picked up a WorkSharp belt sander/sharpener a couple of years ago, I can put an edge on that's good enough to comfortably dry shave with, and it just about nothing flat.

Several years ago, after watching his video several times, I felt confident I could nail that boneless chicken. After about 40 minutes, the kitchen looked like a crime scene. I haven't tried it since.

LOL! I am a horrible knife sharpener on my own, so I broke down earlier this year and now I use the Chef's Choice 130 and/or 15 Trizor; I have been extremely well-pleased with their performance.

I have a Chef's Choice 120 which is the best I have found so far. I think a lot of it has to do with most of my knifes are made probably from recycled Yugo body parts.

I'm feeling a bit smug............I was always smart enough to know to not try it. :p

Bob, You are a man of many wisdoms.;)
I take great pride in my many failures as long as I don't hurt myself. Which thankfully is somewhat less than 50% of the time.

Last edited:
I picked up a WorkSharp belt sander/sharpener a couple of years ago, I can put an edge on that's good enough to comfortably dry shave with, and it just about nothing flat.

The WorkSharp is what I use too. I'm very happy with it and it gets our knives as sharp as anything we need. Took me a few tries to get the hang of it.

Something that I've come to not like about CC is the "tri-bevel" edge. I don't care for the feel when cutting, some go as far as claiming it "destroys" the knife. Some of the cheaper models simply won't sharpen all the way back to a bolster. Otherwise, they're a simple electric grinder.

One other nice thing I've discovered about a WorkSharp (or pretty much other belt sharpener: ) you can sharpen vegetable peelers. My brother picked up one to sharpen orchard pruners.

Something that I've come to not like about CC is the "tri-bevel" edge. I don't care for the feel when cutting, some go as far as claiming it "destroys" the knife. Some of the cheaper models simply won't sharpen all the way back to a bolster. Otherwise, they're a simple electric grinder.

One other nice thing I've discovered about a WorkSharp (or pretty much other belt sharpener: ) you can sharpen vegetable peelers. My brother picked up one to sharpen orchard pruners.

Which Worksharp did you buy, Link?
TIA

Tim

TFL, I apologize for taking part in hijacking your thread. I have the Work Sharp WS300 and I also have this: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00EJ9CQKA/tvwb-20

That knife sharpener works VERY well but I found myself being lazy and not sharpening my knives as often as I should because of the need to change belts and needing to monitor the belt speed. So for my inhibitions, the CC 130 fits beautifully with my style. I am not aware that it delivers any less sharper blades and all I need to do is gauge my pull rate.

My knives are pretty good, better than any of my circle of friends or most of my family using the technique my father taught me, “Steel them as soon as you wash and dry them every time!” I have a guy re sharpen them every so often when I get really lazy but, between a diamond steel and a normal steel, mine are sharp.when you watch the video, he uses two knives and the larger 8-10” chefs and a boning knife. Making one lateral cut down the backbone and the bulk of the work is done with just his hands until he trims around the last wing joint and the legs joints. It’s technique more than blade work really but, I understand the need for a good knife.
JP actually sharpens his own knives, I’ve seen him say it’s important to touch things up (with a steel) fairly often but, there is a very nice YouTube with him teaching sharpening skills.
I have a hard time thinking that I will ever be able to bone out a chicken un under five minutes but, I’ve seen him do it just like the YouTube vid, on cooking shows more than once! I will keep trying to get it nicer, the finished product was delightful.
Only time will tell

Several years ago, after watching his video several times, I felt confident I could nail that boneless chicken. After about 40 minutes, the kitchen looked like a crime scene. I haven't tried it since.

Maybe it’s the red wine? Referring to your avatar...

Back