Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ATC system vs Pellet grill

I tried leaving the top vent at 100% yesterday and with a set temp of 250 the temp ran up to 325 on start. I chickened out because I wanted to get meat on so reduced the opening to 1/4. I'm going to have to talk to Thermoworks because I'm getting bigger temp excursions than I like and expect from an ATC. Yesterday it was inconsistent and I had excursions of 50 degrees throughout the cook. The Flat came out great but it was not a comfortable cook and I don't know how much of that I can attribute to strong wind gusts all day.
    Old dog, learning new tricks - one cook at a time :-). -14.5" and 18.5" WSM, SS Performer, CB Rotisserie, Camp Chef Smokepro DLX (Modified) Pellet Grill

I had initially set the top at 1/4 open, but opened it up fully once temperature was nearing the setpoint. Also, my pit probe is inserted approx 1" to 1 1/2" into a hollow metal grommet that replaced one of the lower grill hanger bolts. So my atc measures (and controls) the heat before any variability is added...
    KCBS, SCA, Operation BBQ Relief

ATC units with a fixed output blower for such a small volume of space seem like over kill.

I would be more inclined to look for a unit with a variable speed fan.

The billows unit is rated at 46cfm. That's about the starting point (50cfm) as a fairly large number of fart fans in the bathroom. Based on comparing the volume of space, I think a fixed speed blower will tend to lend itself to temp swings.

Can the intake to the billows unit be choked down to match the output volume closer to the WSM volume?
    Smokin' away in AK
    22" Red Kettle 2x18.5" Smokey Mountain Genesis Silver B Green

The output of the Billow's pid is a on-off pulse. This works well in this application! In fact, some rather expensive bbq atc units also use on-off pulse, such as Rocks BBQ Stoker !
    KCBS, SCA, Operation BBQ Relief

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12