Yellow deposits on flavor bars?

Dan Leighton

TVWBB Pro
My son had me check a grill on craigslist for a friend of his this morning. It is a Spirit sidewinder running LP. The price was too high after seeing the state of the grill. Not sure if their sprinklers were hitting it every day, but is was starting to rust. One thing that seemed odd that I had not seen previously were yellow deposits on the flavor bars and a little on the burners. It almost looked like powdered sulfur. Would that be a problem with where they get their tanks filled?

Dan, I know exactly what you are talking about. I have seen it on several grill flavorizer bars to include the ones I just cleaned up today. I also have seen it on my personal grill flavorizer bars. When I first saw it, I also thought "Sulfur". But I don't know where that would be coming from unless there is sulfur in the propane. I certainly didn't detect the unique sulfur odor at all.

Bruce:
Thanks for getting back. I haven't seen it on my 2007 Genesis e-320, but I am on NG. Last time I looked at my son's grill (2007 E-320), he didn't have any yellow deposits either. His is connected to a bulk propane tank for his whole house. I wonder what it could be?

It's basically mold that builds up on them. When they cool down moisture condenses on them and any organic material get moldy

Larry, you sayin' I have a moldy grill?
t0sG1c6.jpg

Boy, maybe the fact we both run our grills for about 15 minutes on 100% after any cook has kept us away from this...... Everything tends to incinerate. Easier to clean while prepping for the next cook when cold.

Yep, moldy. I get the same thing. Just today opened mine to do a bit of lunch and found that

I agree with Larry. Mold! I get it worse in the spring and fall when there is more condensation due to the cooler nights after a humid day. And it is worse on the flavorizers that do not have burners under them.

Dan: Thanks for checking! We made out fine. We were to the left of the eye so did not get the winds as bad. Only lost power for 14 hours and I have 2 generators. A few branches down and one tree that knocked out the power line. Hurricane Juan in 2003 we had no power for 7 days and most of my 35 acre wood lot was flattened. And nothing like the Bahamas and the Carolinas.

We were Blessed!

Richard.

Richard:
Good to hear. That is another thing I don't miss about living on the south coast of Rhode Island. Of course I would get called into work for a several day stretch being in the FD. We had a generator from 1995 (Gloria) that migrated to another co-worker when we moved west in 2007. They still have it in use more for snow storms and Nor'easters. I think though I'd take hurricanes you can prepare for rather than our surprise earthquakes this summer here in Vegas. Hope that doesn't happen for another long time. At least you have some grilling capability......

Dan, where in RI did you live! My in-laws live in Narragansett RI. We go down every second year and it is nice there. Got Bruce on this forum to send a part there and I picked it up this summer. Not many old Weber’s here so parts are hard to come by.
I think I would take the advance notice of hurricanes over earth quakes though.

Richard:
Yes, Narragansett is where I lived and worked in the Fire Department for 35 years before retiring. Originally from the neighboring town South Kingstown (Wakefield). Went back last Sept. for my 50th high school reunion. We followed our son west to Las Vegas where he worked for a major pharmacy chain. I get back to RI about every other year too. Visit some old friends, and of course the food tour. My wife still has family there and misses them, her friends and especially the seafood. We used get if fresh off the docks. We had one cat who loved playing with the lobsters on the kitchen floor (bands on the claws) and loved the lobster too after the went into the pot! That cat was from Belfast, Maine, so of course it liked lobster....

Back