Multiple minis built this summer

Jay Swen

Hello All,
I discovered the mini thread a few months ago and decided to use my 20+ year old Smokey Joe as a cold smoker as well. The project went well and we've had so much smoked cheese this year!!!

My wife liked it so much she volunteered me to make customized versions for 2 weddings this summer. I've now tried 3 different ways of opening the bottom of the tamale pan to the smoke and attaching the lower support for the water pan. I'm not yet happy with how that part of the process has turned out but, overall, I've been thrilled with the results.

Jay

PS. I'll post pics when I figure out how...

Hopefully this works...

20190727_143631.jpg

20190831_145502_resized.jpg

Last edited:
I goofed on the second one and didn't put the thermometer right below the upper rack. Other than that, I've been pleased with these gifts and I keep cold smoking cheese on mine!

What are you doing to prevent the ashes from plugging the lower vent ? I first used the sj with the can mod but was not satisfied though it cooked fine. So i got a smokey joe gold from my sister who was not using it and gave her a regular sj all refurbished. I used the sjg and much prefer it for the mini smoker mod.

What are you doing to prevent the ashes from plugging the lower vent ? I first used the sj with the can mod but was not satisfied though it cooked fine. So i got a smokey joe gold from my sister who was not using it and gave her a regular sj all refurbished. I used the sjg and much prefer it for the mini smoker mod.

I have only used the Mini for cold smoking cheese. I use the A-Maze-N 6x6 smoker and their wood pellets. There isn't any ash to deal with. For longer, 225F smoking, I just use my Weber kettle. Decades ago, when I only had the SJ, I would just run a screwdriver through the vent holes every now and then, if needed. Most of my cooking on the SJ was less than an hour though.

Jay

Back