Picked up my first weber tonight!

RichB NH

TVWBB Fan
I've been looking for a cheap, or free weber for months now, finally drove by one and stopped to grab it.

From google searches, pictures and manuals, I think its genesis Platinum II 3400?

Had a ton of bees or wasps or something inside, don't know how I didn't get attacked loading it in my truck.

Also noticed that lower cross members on the front side is totally thrashed, and the rear might be on its way out too. Otherwise it didn't seem like its too bad, had a box of parts and newish looking grates with it, not sure if they go to it or not.

Going to need to figure out if it works first, then how to repair the frame in a cost effective manner, then clean it up and make it as new as I can. At least that's the plan!

mHvvMeP.jpg

HsFiYPs.jpg

enUAWd0.jpg

Last edited:
Rich:
Welcome to the forum. You'll find plenty of help here from members who rehab grills, etc. Also plenty of step by step help on how to replace crossbars including video by Bruce. Good luck and that's a nice looking blue lid.

Rich:
Welcome to the forum. You'll find plenty of help here from members who rehab grills, etc. Also plenty of step by step help on how to replace crossbars including video by Bruce. Good luck and that's a nice looking blue lid.

I found that video after posting, I don't know how bad the side bar is that he repaired on this one, but the bottom front cross member all but came apart while I was unloading it from my truck. It looks like whoever threw it out used some angle and straight brackets to keep the front edge fastened. I am hoping I get some time to clean it up and tear it down this weekend.

I cant find a serial or model number sticker like people have said there should be, is there another spot I can find that information on the grill?

I cant find a serial or model number sticker like people have said there should be, is there another spot I can find that information on the grill?

The older grills have the sticker on the side that’s usually faded by now. Welcome to the forums. Where in NH are you located?

That is a awesome grill. The only problem with rehabbing it is that it is a somewhat unique model and parts might not be easily obtainable. Are you trying for a full restore or just trying to clean it up and get it back into good working condition? What does the inside of the cabinet look like? My guess is that the floor is a rusty mess. If not, then that would be great. If it is, you might want to consider converting it to an open cart design.

I can't see the pictures. Using Firefox all I see is something that looks like a do not enter road sign where each picture should be.

On my computer we'd with chrome, they show up. On my phone, not so much.

Use Imagur the links and photos are NOT there. It is the best thing going for posting photos on here there are instructions. The photos are invisible with Chrome, Firefox and even Edge

RichB,

Yes, at least on my PC they look GREAT! What a really nice grill. I do agree with Bruce that you are starting out with a more challenging one, but if you are up to the work - which may include searching for a while for some parts - you could wind up with an uncommon, awesome grilling machine.

I am hoping for your sake that the the frame parts are not beyond rust repair and repainting. I think the cabinet on those has a wire rack bottom, so you have a better chance of restoring it than the newer grills with a flat painted steel bottom that ALWAYS rusts out.

Take advantage of the resources here such as the "stickies" regarding best parts and methods. And don't ever hesitate to throw out questions. We have all made plenty of mistakes and would love to help you avoid some by sharing with you.

WELCOME TO TVWBB!

So, is it the vintage? original cost? What that makes it so rare?

I am not looking to get this to 100% brand new. I don't think its possible or feasible but i'd like to clean it up enough so it looks pretty good.

The majority of it is in solid shape it seems. But the lower front frame, and corners where it connects and the bottoms of the vertical edge braces are junk the top cross member isn't pretty either.

Inside the bucket where the front burner is supposed to be attached to the bucket is gone, and will need some sort of repair I would think. and the slides for the lower grease trap and the grease trap frame are pretty messed up.

Otherwise, the burners look OK, but the cross pipe opposite the valve knobs is junk. I've got a complete set of heat shields, what I believe to be a smoker box, and what appear to be pretty much brand new grates.

I am a bit disappointed in how bad the front frame is, I thought it was better on first glance. Google doesn't bring up much for results, but not being able to truely identify the model is making it more difficult. I may try to fabricate a frame for the front and reuse as much as I can otherwise.

Here are some more pictures after a hose down and some scraping.

mFhbxzx

3bzL4ZC.jpg

dUi8UZJ.jpg

l90R53l.jpg

QjlDczQ.jpg

S5XIulS.jpg

QSGGTvj.jpg

Yah, I am pretty concerned about the frame on that thing. If you lose the frame, it looks like you basically lose the side tables and maybe extra burner. I don't know if they would be transferable to a regular silver or gold C frame.

Also, from what I can tell, there is a hole where the front burner mounting screw should be in the cook box. If so, you might be able to repair that with some Hi Temp JB weld, but that also concerns me as I have never seen a hole straight through in that place on a cook box. It is hard to tell from the photo for sure.

The uniqueness is embodied in the frame as it is a more heavy duty frame with thicker legs than a typical weber genesis grill. They only made those a couple years I believe. Also, those side tables are very unique to the Weber Genesis line. The lids are also a bit unique but span many more years. While that all tends to make it a more prized grill overall, it makes rebuilding them a lot more difficult without the trove of replacement parts available that you could typically find for a Genesis grill of that era.

Well, a few snapped bolts, and even more wasps I got the grill broken down without getting stung. But the front frame, and 2 of the 3 tube cross members are total junk.

One of the grease tray mounting points corroded off as well. The bolt that holds the cork box in place snapped too. Seriously disappointing.

My intention is to build a new frame using those square tube nuts I've seen in that video, not sure I'll be able to do that in the corners to assemble the frame though, kind of a bummer.

This might be a scrapped project.

Last edited:
"This might be a scrapped project."

If you decide it's going to be scrap let me know. There is probably a couple parts I could use. Maybe we could work something out.

Will do. I'm not ready to give up yet. I figure it a long shot but it's at least worth trying to contact Weber to see if by some chance they have a front frame.

I am trying to figure out ways to keep what I can of the front frame. Preferably without welding. I figure epoxy, jb weld and rivets might work to patch together the bad parts.

If I were to get a 3 burner Weber of the same vintage would the cook box fit my platinum frame?

Did the 3 burners come with 5 flavor bars vs the 13 mine has? I'm seeing a few 3 burner units for low prices I'd be willing to buy to get a better cook box.

The photos show up now and while it's a nice find I concur with everyone, that cook box is FUBAR. I doubt JB will do what you need there but again who knows. The frame is totally shot and I doubt using those insert nuts you can build a strong enough frame for it. Much has to do with the shape of those rails. (not square but rectangular) those nuts only work in square tubes. As for fire box only a 13 bar will fit in those frames. There is a 5 bar but it's smaller and will not fit. I suppose mods could be made but doubt it's economically feasible or esthetically pleasing

I have to agree with Larry here. I think you are going to wind up going down the rabbit hole if you try to keep this grill intact and "repair" it. It is too bad, but that frame is not real common and even finding a replacement would be hard. If your cook box has a hole in it, you can use Hi Temp JB weld to fix it as long as it isn't too big. I have it on my Genesis 1000 to seal a hole about the size of a small pea and it is holding up great.

My suggestion is to find another grill to rehab. You don't have to toss this entire grill. I would definitely keep some of the parts.
For instance, the manifold, the control panel, the lid, the wire rack in the bottom and maybe the extra burner. Also keep the burners and flavorizer bars and cooking grates if they are in good shape. But, the rest is pretty much toast.

It shouldn't be tough to find another project grill. I get almost all of mine for less than $50 and they are in much better shape than that one is in. Now you know what to look for and what some of the problem areas are for when you go out looking.

I guess what i was asking is. If it's a 3 burner Genesis of a similar vintage, does it mean it will have 13 bars vs the 5?

There are 3-4 within reasonable driving distance that are under $80. Obviously none are a platinum. But if I can repair the frame, is it reasonable to assume I could find a cheap grill for the cook box?

Back