Proud new owner...

Charles Howse

TVWBB Wizard
of a Weber 22" Original Kettle.
$109 + tax @ Lowe's.
Didn't take long to put together, and easy, too...If you're 21 and weigh about 130 lbs. Too much "floor time" for this fat old man.
I'm very pleased with it; it looks and feels VERY clean. No oil, no tiny metal shavings, etc.

I'm going to assume it DOES NOT need a "dry run" to burn off any yucky stuff.

What say you??

Congrats! I fear a new kettle may be in my near future as well. Mine is starting to develop a number of rust spots and my recent acquisition of a Vortex has made the lack of a heat deflector on the handle of my older model very problematic. I think next time I may go for one of the slightly upscale models.

Here's the rundown on the first cook. 3.5# Ground Beef (prob. 75/25), made 6 patties. 3/4 chimney Kingsford Blue. Target Grill temp 375*.
I had to fiddle and wait for the temp to get where I wanted it, but everything came out alright!!
Nice crunchy crust on the burgers, tender and juicy inside, toasted buns, Ketchup, pickles, cheese, caramelized onions.
They were VERY, VERY good!!
Thanks for the conversation!! :D

Charles, keep in mind that you’ve scratched the surface! Did your kettle come with coal baskets or old style rails? If not a recommend you get a set of baskets, for indirect work they are priceless! The really good 304 SS ones are worth it after you start to see that the kettle was a brilliant design for cooking methods aside from hot direct. You will be enjoying your purchase for years to come! Whole chickens, pork loins, standing rib roasts, turkeys, are each worth pursuing! If you are worried about attempting something, this site is the best source for help I’ve seen, just make sure to start asking before you cook!
If I can help, let me know!

Timothy, no baskets, I know what they look like, don't know what rails look like. I've had my WSM since 2005 and am well aware of Weber Quality. I will be sure to speak up if I have questions! :D
The big problem I had tonight was neighbor 1's dogs barking at neighbor 2's dogs. They're both across my back yard and very loud.
I have a covered deck with speakers in the overhead. I hook up my Asus tablet and play the Blues on Spotify, and those dogs just ruin the peace and quiet. :-(
Got a friend in the Sheriff's Dept. I can call on if necessary.

Rails were precursors to baskets. Get a set of baskets...tomorrow! You will see the value with the first chicken cook! Trust me.

Different tools for different jobs Jay. Anything longer than a half pork loin is longer than the width of the big end of the cone. Well, my medium cone anyway.
I will never be without BOTH sets of fire management tools! A whole side of a decent salmon needs the full length of the center of my 22.5.
Time to go make something for dinner!

Last edited:

Back