Suggestion for hot&fast brisket point

Efrem Pozzati

Hello everybody,
I'm going to cook my first hot and fast brisket (point) and I need some suggestion.
I usually do low and slow for brisket, and it takes some times 16 hours.
Next week me and my team will have a BBQ competition (free recipe) with 7 hours timeframe, so we decided to try h&f brisket beacuse we are alost sure we'll be the only team doing that.
This sunday I'm arranging a test with a 10lb brisket point.
My plan is to cook in 6 hour (5.5 will be even better), to have at least 30 minute for the resting stage.
What temperature shuld I set the smokere? I'm thinking about 325-350 F. Is that a good temp (or to high/low for the timeframe)?
At 170F I'll go to foil the point and I'll target 195 (to let the temp increasing to 205 during the rest stage).
Do I need to use a complete waterpan? Can I use only half water? My concerns regards the time to reach 325F from scartch.
Any other suggestion?

Kind regards!

I’ll make a few suggestions based on the limited info given. Assuming you have a WSM since you mentioned a water pan.

If this is 10lb, you will be hard pressed to cook that through in just 7 hours. I did one in 11 hours at around 270F, so 325 to 350 sounds right. Cannot hit that with the water pan in, so I’d leave it out and plan to spritz after a few hours so the bark does not dry out. I’d run about 20-25 coals in the starter chimney to make sure that the coals are burning well immediately and that temp ramps up quickly. You might need to flip and prop open your side door to get some extra airflow.

Let us know how it goes!

Hi,
I did the first attempt yesterday, and I had some fixable issues.
I used the waterpan, and I had difficulties to reach the 300F target (I lost about one hour around 250f, so I "lost" about 1 hour of cooking): during the competition I'll avoid the waterpan and I'll spritz it as suggested by KToliver.
I was still able to cook in 6hour, but I had to shorten a lot the rest time (I sliced when it was still 185F, way too hot).

It was moisty enough, but I suspect adding rest time will give better results.

This is the result:
brisket.jpg

I'll let you know how the final result will be :)

Last edited:
Cannot hit that with the water pan in, so I’d leave it out and plan to spritz after a few hours so the bark does not dry out.

CLARIFICATION: As Tim noted...I did not mean you should leave the PAN out, I meant to leave the WATER out. The pan should be left in place as a heat deflection shield.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Thanks for pointing it out, Tim.

CLARIFICATION: As Tim noted...I did not mean you should leave the PAN out, I meant to leave the WATER out. The pan should be left in place as a heat deflection shield.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Thanks for pointing it out, Tim.

Yes, when I said "without waterpan" I actually meant without water :)
Thanks for clarification :)

I know you're talking hot and fast here, but I've cooked briskets in the 250/260 range without a pan, fire below, meat on top.
The aroma is wonderful, and the end product excellent.

IMGP9268.JPG

Efrem... Is the competition the "Caput Mundi BBQ Competition" on the 12th of next month or the "Italian Hardcore Barbecue (DAY 2)" this weekend ?

I know you're talking hot and fast here, but I've cooked briskets in the 250/260 range without a pan, fire below, meat on top.

Hey Bob, did you document this cook in the forum? I'd like to check it out if you did... Looks very tasty!

Last edited:

IMGP9268.JPG

Bob; that is an amazing smoke ring...I have yet to get a ring like that with my WSM. I know it's only appearance, but how do you do that?

Hey Bob, did you document this cook in the forum? I'd like to check it out if you did... Looks very tasty!
Thanks Brian, I probably did post the cook, but it's been pretty long ago. I'll look for it.
It was back when I had the 18" WSM, I use the 14" now and don't think the distance fire to meat would be far enough.
Bob; that is an amazing smoke ring...I have yet to get a ring like that with my WSM. I know it's only appearance, but how do you do that?
Thank you!
No clue, but I suspect it's the humidity we have here because I don't do anything special and nearly always get a good ring on big meat.

Sorry OP, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

IMGP9268.JPG

It looks simply AMAZING! Great job!

Efrem... Is the competition the "Caput Mundi BBQ Competition" on the 12th of next month or the "Italian Hardcore Barbecue (DAY 2)" this weekend ?

Neither of them: it is the Agribianza's Campionato di BBQ 2019, my team is Beer Beer Q.

Here the final result.
This is the actual presentation we made for the judges.

Brisket-1.jpg

Brisket-2.jpg

Unfortunately we didn't go in the prizes, but we were very satisfied of the final product.

The brisket was ready in 5 hours, plus rest:
- 3 hours to 165F
- 2 more hours foiled to to 197F
- during the rest it increased to 203F
- we sliced at 168F
It was very very moisty and tender.

Thank you guys for the support!

Back